Well summer is here in full force. At least Missouri is not suffering the heat wave that is moving over the West. Some of my blogging friends have been leaving screen shots of accuweather on my Facebook feed showing actual temperatures of 92 degrees at 7:00 AM. Now that is hot…really hot. It looks Phoenix, Arizona is expecting a high of 117 degrees today. How is your weather? Are you in the middle of your first summer heat wave or are you still chilly and thinking soup and warm biscuits for dinner.
We are toasty albeit not like Arizona. We are hot and sticky with a high of 93 degrees today. Welcome to the sauna of the Midwest. My Mediterranean Ciabatta Bread Salad is perfect for days like this. It is loaded with good for you tomatoes, artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans, feta cheese and toasted ciabatta bread. It is drizzled with a light red wine vinaigrette and is so quick to come together. The ciabatta bread only toasts for 12-15 minutes so the oven won’t be on long so this keeps your little nest-egg cool.
Have you tried any of my other fabulous salads? Fresh Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad, Quick Easy Turkey Club Pasta Salad and Honey Mustard Chicken Snap Pea Salad are just a few of my favorites. This time of year there are so many great choices and so little time to try them all.
Garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) are an amazing super food. Just one cup serving of chickpeas contains (in daily recommended values): 268 calories, 12.5 grams of dietary fiber, 14.5 grams of protein, 4.2 grams of fat and 84% manganese via Chickpeas Nutrition, Benefits & Recipes.
If you are preparing this Mediterranean Ciabatta Bread Salad ahead of time wait and add the toasted bread, dressing and feta right before serving. This will keep the bread more crisp. I hope you enjoy this beautiful, nutritious and easy to prepare Mediterranean Ciabatta Bread Salad as much as we do.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small loaf ciabatta bread (3-4 rolls)
- 2 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) quartered artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh basil cut in ribbons
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small bowl whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cut ciabatta bread into bite size slices, place on baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In large bowl combine tomatoes, garbanzo beans, artichoke hearts, red onions, ciabatta bread and basil. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with feta. Serve immediately.
Other recipes you will love!!