Wow life is really busy!! There are never enough hours in a day! Ever!! There is exercise, laundry, work, cooking, dishes, kids to be picked up from school, doctors and dentists visits, soccer games and shopping. Oh mercy! I am tired just thinking about it. Okay maybe I should have started this out a little more positive. LOL!! Too late. There is too much to do and I don’t have time to retype it!!
Even with all those things to do it is still important to try to put a healthy meal on the table!! I mean aren’t family meals more important than they ever were? This Italian Sausage Gouda Broccoli Bake is the perfect solution to your crazy world! It gives you the opportunity to feed your family a nutritious flavorful meal without losing your mind!
This scrumptious Italian Sausage Gouda Broccoli Bake is quick to prepare and oh so delicious! It is filled with broccoli, Italian sausage, yellow bell pepper, Gouda cheese and topped with fresh crushed seasoned croutons and is canned soup free! I am not a huge fan of canned soup. You could prepare the whole thing in a dutch oven or large deep ovenproof skillet. This is one of my families favorite casseroles. You can feel great about feeding this to your loved ones!
I really hope you enjoy Italian Sausage Gouda Broccoli Bake as much as we do. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Don’t worry about all the things on your schedule. Somehow you will get it done and as my late Mother used to say “Don’t sweat the small stuff.”
- 1 lb ground Italian pork sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded & chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup minute rice (instant rice)
- 2 cups Gouda cheese shredded
- 2 cups seasoned croutons
- In dutch oven or large oven safe skillet over medium heat brown ground Italian sausage. When almost brown add onion and bell pepper and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. With slotted spoon remove sausage mixture from skillet and plate.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium low heat, Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes; whisking continuously. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth alternating between the two. Bring to low boil for two minutes; whisking very frequently. Whisk in oregano, onion powder, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir in broccoli and minute rice. Cook for two minutes over a low boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool for ten minutes. Add sausage mixture back to pan and 1 cup shredded Gouda.
- Crush croutons in large plastic bag with rolling pin. You can either transfer to a 9 x 11 casserole dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray or bake in ovenproof skillet or dutch oven, Top with croutons and remaining Gouda cheese. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
Other casseroles you will love