These Apple Wontons with Caramel Dipping Sauce are the bomb. I can not and will not be responsible for you eating too many of them. They are so simple and so divine. I use canned apple pie filling for these just to make it a little easier but feel free to whip up your own filling if you have the time available to do so. The wontons are so easy to work with as they are just pinched at the top. You are not going to submerge them in oil. You are going to set them in oil and then drain upside down on paper towels.
The caramel dipping sauce is so easy. It includes 4 ingredients and can be whipped up in less than ten minutes. These would also be wonderful with a cream cheese dipping sauce. Maybe a cream cheese dipping sauce swirled with white chocolate or a streusel. Boy my food blogging mind never stops!
I don’t have a fryer at home. I use a heavy saucepan. A couple of quick tips on frying in a heavy saucepan. Keep pets and children out of the kitchen while frying because sometimes grease splatters. Use a thermometer to try to reach and keep optimum temperature. Keep the flame/burner low as heating the oil slow helps you maintain correct temperature. Stay right there so things do NOT go wrong. Remember that some oils can ignite if over heated too much. Do not try to discard the oil when it is hot. Wait until it is fully cooled. I always cook on the back burner giving me a buffer zone between my body and the hot oil.
Apple Wontons with Caramel Dipping Sauce
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 24–30 wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Empty can of pie filling on a plastic cutting board and coarsely chop apples in 1/2 to 1/3’s. Scoop chopped up apples and filling into bowl. Place tablespoon of filling in center of wonton. Moisten four corners of the wonton lightly with water on fingertip and bring up four corners and pinch together. Do not worry about gaps. Continue until all the wontons are full.
- Pour oil to a depth of about one inch in heavy stockpot. Heat to 350 degrees. Working in batches using tongs place apple wontons in oil pinched sides up. Cook 60-90 seconds or until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper towels pinched sides down to drain.
- Add butter, whipping cream, brown sugar and vanilla to saucepan over low heat. Cook until brown sugar is dissolved and sauce is combined & warm; stirring frequently.
- Serve sauce with apple wontons.
Keep extra wontons covered with moistened paper towels while you are working.
Other delectable recipes you will love!