Cheese Straws are easy and delicious. They are the perfect appetizer for your next party and are easily prepped using frozen puff pastry. If you have never worked with frozen puff pastry it is cinch to work with. The most difficult thing is remembering to remove it from the freezer forty five minutes before you want to work with it!
Are you doing any entertaining for the holidays? We always do a little entertaining through out the year so having lots of amazing appetizers comes in very handy. These Cheese Straws are packed with tons of flavor. What gives these delicious Cheese Straws all their fabulous zest? It is a few key spices and two different cheeses including sharp cheddar and of course crispy cooked bacon!
What are Cheese Straws?
Cheese straws are a thin strip of pastry that is flavored with cheese and can be served as an appetizer or snack. They are a classic food of the Southern United States. They are traditionally made from dough with butter, flour, salt, cheddar and seasoned with cayenne pepper. This Cheese Straw recipe uses puff pastry eliminating the need to make a homemade dough.
What is puff pastry and where can you purchase it?
Puff Pastry is frozen ready made dough that is buttery, flaky and light. The butter is worked inside the dough and it is folded and rolled out multiple time before freezing creating light delicious layers. It is available in the freezer section of most grocery stores in the United States and should remain frozen until ready to use. Time the use of your puff pastry carefully as once thawed prep and cook while it is at its optimum.
How do you make Cheese Straws with puff pastry?
In small bowl stir together chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder. Toss in cooked bacon, Parmesan and cheddar cheese. Lightly flour rolling area and roll puff pastry out to a rectangle. Brush the pastry with a beaten egg and sprinkle with cheese mixture. Fold the rectangle in half and roll back out to the sizer of the original rectangle. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle the remaining cheese mixture over the top. Cut the rectangle in half and cut into strips.
Then place the strips on parchment covered baking sheets, a few inches apart. Twist the ends of the strips to create a spiral and refrigerate for thirty minutes. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown.
For optimum results serve straight out of the oven but will keep up to 3 days in a airtight sealed bag or container. These Cheese Straws are absolutely delicious and I am sure that your family and friends will agree.
Other appetizers you will love!
- BLT Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Quick and Creamy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Triple Cheese & Bacon Pinwheels
- Sweet Asian Pork Rolls
This post was originally published November 21, 2015 and was republished January 15, 2020 with new content.Print
Delectable party perfect cheese and bacon straws made easy with frozen puff pastry available in the freezer section of most grocery stores. These perfectly seasoned crisp pastry appetizers are perfect for your next party or shindig.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: appetizers
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 slices bacon crispy cooked and chopped fine
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- Stir together chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder in small bowl. Add cooked bacon, Parmesan and cheddar cheese to bowl and toss to coat.
- Lightly flour rolling area and roll puff pastry out to 12 x 16 inch rectangle. Brush the pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with 1/2 of the spice/bacon/cheese mixture. Fold in half creating an 12 x 8 inch rectangle. Roll the square back out to a 12 x 16 inch rectangle. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle the remaining spice/bacon/ cheese mixture over the top. Cut the rectangle in half creating two 12 x 8 inch rectangles. Cut each rectangle into 3/4 inch strips longways. After cutting both rectangles you will have 32 strips that are about 8 inches long.
- Place strips on parchment lined baking sheets, a few inches apart. Twist ends of strips to create a spiral. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until they are crispy and golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the cookie sheets. .
Don’t get to wrapped up in the measurement part. Sometimes you just have to wing it.
Keywords: puff pastry cheese straws, cheddar straws, bacon cheddar straws, appetizer, appetizer made with puff pastry, cheese straws recipe, how to make cheese straws, puff pastry cheese straws, southern cheese straws, Mississippi cheese straws