These Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies are easy, quick to fix, delicious, and they freeze well. You may even have the ingredients in your house right now. Also known as Russian Tea Cakes and Mexican Wedding Cookies but in our house we just call them Snowballs They are the delectable cookie with a thousand names.
These are my absolute favorite cookies! I love them!!! LOVE THEM!!! These Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies will melt in your mouth. They are so easy! You will find that you have a full batch of cookies ready in under 45 minutes. How can you beat that!!
How to make Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies.
These delectable cookies are so very easy to make. First cream the butter and the powdered sugar until light and fluffy! Then turn the mixer to low and add the salt, vanilla, flour and pecans. Roll into one inch balls and place on parchment covered baking sheets and bake.
Allow to cool just enough to handle them. Roll in the powdered sugar. Place them on cookie cooling racks. When they are fully cooled roll in the powdered sugar again.
How to freeze and thaw Snowball Cookies aka Russian Tea Cakes and Mexican Wedding Cookies.
They can be baked and frozen ahead of time. Pack the cookies in doubled Ziploc freezer bags and place them in sturdy glad-ware freezer container. When defrosting take them out of the containers frozen and place on serving trays or platters uncovered. Never allow them to defrost in the plastic and the containers. The condensation that builds in there will ruin the cookies. Once the cookies have defrosted place in airtight containers and store at room temperature for up to a week.
The dough can easily be frozen as well in a practice commonly known as flash freezing. Simply roll the dough and place on parchment covered baking sheets. Make sure they aren’t touching so they don’t freeze to each other. Place in the freezer until frozen then transfer to a freezer bag and store that bag in a sturdy freezer container. When you are ready to bake simply place the cookies on a parchment covered baking sheet and let them thaw just a tad while the oven preheats. Frozen cookies may require an additional one to two minutes baking time.
Do you have to use pecans for this Snowball Cookies Recipe?
Heck no! You can use English walnuts, black walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and even cashews. Just make sure the nuts are shelled, roasted and finely chopped. Each nut gives the cookie a delicious different unique flavor.
Helpful hints on making these Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Use real honest to goodness butter so they taste yummy.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Chop the nuts fairly fine.
- This a thick dough so roll the cookies with your hands because the warmth or your hands will help shape the cookies.
- Preheat the oven and load the baking sheet in the middle of the oven.
- Use parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- If you have time do a test run with one or two cookies. It really helps to establish baking time.
- Do not over-bake. These are a type of shortbread cookies. They are a crumbly melt in your mouth cookie.
- When measuring your flour spoon the flour into the measuring cups and level off with a table knife.
Fun twists on the traditional Snowball Cookie.
- Roll the dough around an unwrapped chocolate kiss
- Add 3/4 cup chopped Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips to the cookie dough
- Add 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips to the cookie dough
- Mix 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder at the same time as the butter and powdered sugar. Also add 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips stirred in at the end to make Chocolate Snowball Cookies
- Replace the vanilla with lemon juice, add 1-2 tablespoons lemon zest and use finely chopped sliced almonds instead of the pecans to make Almond Lemon Snowballs.
I love cookies but these are my absolute favorite. I just adore them. Now I gotta go freeze them before I consume all of them! I hope you love them as much as we do!!
Other cookies you will love!
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Homemade Sugar Cookies
- The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
This post was originally published October 31, 2016 and was republished October 1, 2019 with new content.
Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies
Snowball cookies are a Christmas tradition and my favorite cookie! These melt in your mouth buttery pecan shortbread cookies are baked to perfection and rolled in powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 11
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 30-36 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecan
- 1 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In stand mixer cream butter and powdered sugar. Turn to low and mix in salt, vanilla, flour and pecans. Roll into one inch balls. Place on parchment covered baking sheets a few inches part. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until very lightly browned. Do not over bake
- Remove from oven and allow to cool just enough to handle them. Pour 1 cup powdered sugar in large Ziploc bag or in a wide bowl. Gently add 3-4 cookies at a time and roll them gently in the bottom of the bag. Use fork to scoop under each cookie and gently shake to remove excess powdered sugar. Place on cooling racks. Once completely cooled roll in powdered sugar bag again.
Makes 30-36 cookies
Keywords: snowball cookies, Russian tea cakes, Mexican wedding cookies, Christmas cookies, cookies, sand tarts, snowball cookie recipe, Christmas snowball cookies, how to make snowball cookies pecan snowball cookies,