Oh my goodness. This Caprese Grilled Cheese is one of the best I have ever had or made. Believe me because I know my grilled cheese! Grilled cheese has got to be one of the absolute best comfort foods known to mankind. I think even more so than mac n cheese.
It is hot here….so very hot. But one good thing about hot weather is that is produces great tomatoes. Tomatoes are packed full of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants and are a rich source of vitamins A and C and folic acid. That combined with garden fresh basil takes this Caprese Grilled cheese to heights I never thought possible. Did you know that basil is as a natural anti-inflammatory?
Now make sure that you buy yourself some bakery quality bread. This was a European wheat loaf from a high end grocery store in the area. Don’t skimp on the bread. I simply love this grilled cheese and I hope you do too!Print
Caprese Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices Bakery quality wheat bread
- 4 thin slices summer ripe tomatoes
- Mozzarella slices (enough to cover two slices of bread)
- 15–20 fresh basil leaves
- Salt & Pepper
- Butter softened
Optional Balsamic Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Place balsamic vinegar in small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Add minced garlic and pepper and whisk for 30 seconds.
- Layer two slices of bread with mozzarella slices. Add two slices tomato on top of the mozzarella. Now layer basil leaves on top of the tomatoes. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Top each with other slice of bread.
- Spread the top slice with butter and place butter side down in skillet over medium low heat. While in pan spread the other side with butter and cover loosely with foil. Grill until golden brown. Flip and grill the other side until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Ham Roasted Red Pepper Grilled Cheesehttps://www.smalltownwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Beth-1.pdf