I have a sister who shall remain nameless who lives in the sunny state of Florida. She has a funny habit of calling a sandwich a sammich. I call her on it all the time but she says that a sammich is a special kind of sandwich. A sammich is a sandwich that looks and tastes like a piece of heaven. Now she would refer to bologna and cheese as a sandwich but this Extreme California Club Sandwich is classified as a sammich!
This beauty is all it is cracked up to be and more. Extreme California Club Sandwich starts with good quality European Wholesome Whole Grain Seeded Bread. It is topped with Memphis BBQ seasoned turkey, hickory smoked bacon, super sharp cheddar, fresh tomatoes, gourmet pea tendrils and perfectly ripe smooth avocado. Is your mouth watering yet?
You can make this with three slices of bread like the classic club but it might hard to get in your mouth or you can separate it into two more reasonably sized sandwiches. The choice and the workout are all yours! LOL!
It only takes about five minutes to put together once the bacon has been cooked. If you have never cooked bacon in the oven you should give it a whirl. It is so easy. Just load the bacon strips flat on a cookie sheet. Place in oven at 375 degrees and cook for 7-8 minutes. Flip and bacon for another 7-8 minutes or until desired doneness. Drain on paper towels.
This sammich makes for the perfect weekend lunch or weeknight dinner. You could serve with a simple potato salad or my Creamy Macaroni Salad. A glass of pinot grigio is awesome with this Extreme California Club Sandwich or even an ice cold lime beer. Okay now I am making myself hungry again. Try it this coming weekend and let me know what you think.
Extreme California Club Sandwich
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3–4 slices of good quality wholegrain loaf (3 if making a double decker 4 if making two sandwiches)
- 2 slices deli sharp cheddar
- 1/3 lb deli sliced turkey breast
- 4 slices crispy cooked bacon
- 4 thin slices tomato
- 6 thin slices avocado
- 1/2 cup gourmet pea tendrils
- In small bowl combine mayo and mustard. Spread over 4 slices of bread if making two sandwiches. On two slices layer one slice of cheddar, half of the turkey breast, 2 slices of bacon, 2 slices of the tomato, 3 slices of avocado and 1/4 cup of pea tendrils. Add the top slice of bread creating two sandwiches.
- Serve immediately. You may need to secure with toothpicks.
Other recipes you will LOVE!