This super simple Hasselback Chicken is made flavorful with Gouda cheese and fresh baby spinach. The spinach helps keep the chicken moist while the Gouda and the herbs infuse flavor. I love to serve this dish with Green Beans with Toasted Almonds and Garlic and Roasted Rosemary Potatoes.
What is Hasselback Chicken?
It is simply chicken breasts that have slices about 1/2 inch apart but not all the way through creating pockets that you can stuff with spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, onions or various kinds of cheese. The ideas are only limited by your imagination. Stuffing the chicken helps keep it moist.
Variations for Hasselback Chicken
- Bacon, cheddar, Monterey Jack, and ranch dressing
- Zucchini, yellow squash, mozzarella and Parmesan
- Sun-dried tomato, mushroom, spinach and Gruyere
- Onion, ham and Swiss
- Fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil
- Bacon, cream cheese and spinach
More chicken recipes you will love!
This post was originally published September 18, 2015 and was republished January 21, 2020 with new content.Print
Gouda Spinach Hasselback Chicken
Delicious, easy, and tender herbed chicken breasts stuffed with Gouda cheese and baby spinach. Read post for more variations for stuffing hasselback chicken.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal chicken
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Gouda cheese semi thick slices (about 4 ounces)
- Baby spinach (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut vertical slices in chicken breasts about 1/3 of an inch apart. Do not go all the way through. Place piece of Gouda and baby spinach in each slice.
- Combine melted butter, basil, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder. Brush over chicken breast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in baking dish with a piece of foil cradled in the bottom to keep the juices around the chicken. Bake for 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Turn on the broiler for the last minute of cooking just to brown the cheese a touch.
Split the chicken breasts in half to make 4 servings. Large chicken breasts these days are over 12 ounces.
Keywords: hasselback chicken recipe, chicken recipes, hasselback chicken keto, hasselback chicken breast, chicken breast recipe