Summer has a lot of amazing gifts. Sweet strawberries, plump blackberries, and mouthwatering corn are just a few of them. By far one of my most absolute favorites is fresh garden tomatoes. I don’t think there is any other vegetable that changes in taste from one season to another. We are all familiar with that tomato that we cut in the middle of the winter for our BLT Chicken Sandwich and discover that is mushy and not what we were hoping for. These are tomatoes that are picked before they were ripe and shipped across the country for sale in the coming week or so. Now it does not happen every time and probably not to all of you since a lot of your reside in climates that are warm year round. It does happen enough for me to appreciate how fabulous fresh garden tomatoes taste.
This Heirloom Tomato Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad brings the best of summer bounty to the table. It combines fresh heirloom tomatoes with slight sweet slightly tangy balsamic vinaigrette and soft melt in your mouth mozzarella. Boy life does not get much better than this. I am so grateful for so many gifts for the summer.
Are you a huge tomato fan like myself? Have you tried my Herb Cream Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes , Bacon Tomato Grilled Cheese or my Sun Dried Tomato Spinach Genoa Salami Pinwheels? There are so many outstanding tomato recipes and so little time!
These Heirloom Tomato Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad is so quick to prepare making it the perfect accompaniment for your summer dinner. It is such a pretty dish and presents so well. The balsamic vinaigrette can be prepared ahead of time making it a perfect salad for your patio party or neighborhood shindig.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 lbs garden fresh heirloom tomatoes sliced thin
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella snack size balls
- 8-10 basil leaves cut in ribbons
- Combine balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon Mustard, garlic and olive oil in a shaker bottle. Shake well and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes and mozzarella on a platter. Sprinkle with basil ribbons and drizzle with the balsamic vinaigrette. Refrigerate leftovers.
Other tomato recipes you will love!