The other day I just felt like hush puppies. I mean I felt like eating hush puppies. There is a big difference there. Now plain hush puppies were NOT appealing to me. However the thought of adding jalapenos and cheddar seemed yummy and delicious. This was the beginning of my new recipe!
My what the difference that made when it came to hush puppies The spicy little sweet fried balls of love just melted in my mouth. The first batch I served with a dill yogurt sauce and the second batch I went with sweet Michigan cherry preserves. Both were different yet equally delish!
They are so easy and delicious! You will be so pleased with your hush puppies!Print
Jalapeno & Cheddar Hush Puppies
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups buttermilk self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar
- Beat egg in medium bowl. Stir in milk, cornmeal, flour, onion, jalapeno & cheddar.
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil in deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375 degrees.
- Scoop up rounded tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Working in small batches fry 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with dill yogurt sauce or all natural fruit preserves.