Life just tastes great with jalapenos in it. Now add cheese, chicken and bacon and my goodness life just got so much sweeter!
Look at all that creamy goodness. This casserole is quick to prepare, reliable and delectable. Who could resist all of that?
It makes for great leftovers too! Throw in a couple of tablespoons of cream and chicken broth and it tastes so fresh and creamy. The older I get the more I love jalapenos!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in bite size pieces
- Cream cheese 4 ounces
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 jalapenos 1 minced and 1 cut in rings
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
- 4 cups COOKED penne pasta
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta to directions on box.
- Cook bacon in skillet over medium heat. Remove bacon and put on separate plate.
- Add onion to bacon grease and cook for additional 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, plate, cover and keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and add chicken. Cook until browned. Remove from heat and add to plate with onions cover and keep warm.
- Melt cream cheese in skillet over low heat, add chicken broth, cream and minced jalapeno. Whisk gently until smooth and creamy. Add 2 cups cheddar and whisk gently until melted and creamy. Add pasta, cooked chicken and onions to cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Place in 2 quart casserole coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and Monterey Jack.
- Top with jalapeno rings, bacon and bake for 25 minutes uncovered.