It is hard to believe that we are already more than halfway through the summer. Where did the time go? It seems like just yesterday that the kids got out of school. What happened to all of our summer plans and ideas on how to spend those long leisurely afternoons. I mean we have managed to complete a few projects and sneak off to the water-parks several times but it is hard to imagine that we are less than a month away from utter chaos. I am laughing as I say that. Better to be laughing than crying, right? It won’t be long before every second of the day becomes precious as you fight to stay ahead of the eight ball. On a side note I sound a lot like my mother with so many idioms.
These delicious Quick & Easy Tex Mex Chicken Chimichangas can be prepped and cooked in about 20 minutes. They are plump full of mouthwatering shredded rotisserie chicken, salsa style tomatoes, Monterey Jack Cheese and refried beans. They are topped with a super quick to prepare Pico de Gallo. They are pan fried in a bit of olive oil which makes them a little healthier than their deep friend cousins. They come out of the pan just as crispy and hot.
Have you tried any of my other Tex Mex recipes? Chicken Taco Casserole, Pulled Pork Queso Fundido and Chorizo Stuffed Poblano Peppers are just a few of my favorites. Please keep in mind that these Quick & Easy Tex Mex Chicken Chimichangas are best served right away; crispy and warm. You can adjust the recipe for a couple or a whole family.
Put these Quick & Easy Tex Mex Chicken Chimichangas on your list tonight. They are delicious, easy and oh so quick. Much better than your local Mexican restaurant as you are controlling the quality of the ingredients.
- 3/4 pound ripe tomatoes chopped (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken (about 1 large chicken)
- 2/3 cup salsa or salsa style tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Kansas City style barbecue sauce
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 -3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Olive oil
- In medium bowl combine tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno and lime juice. Set aside.
- In medium bowl combine shredded chicken, salsa, and barbecue sauce.
- Spread a couple of heaping tablespoons refried beans on top of each flour tortilla, Top with about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture and top with 1/4 - 1/3 cup of Monterey Jack cheese. Flip bottom part of tortilla up over the center, fold in sides and roll up tight.
- Heat several tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Cook until golden brown on all sides. Top with Pico de Gallo and serve immediately.
These are better made and cooked in batches. I assemble and roll what I can fit in a pan without being tight. While they are browning I assemble more. You many need to add more oil to the pan before the next batch.
More Tex Mex recipes you will love!!