This delectable Southwest Chowder with Cornbread Dumplings is so easy. It can take care of your hungry crew in short order. It combines the wonderful flavors of sausage, onion, garlic, green chilies, along with corn, black beans and tomatoes. It is topped with sweet cornbread dumplings that compliment it in the best way possible.
You will need to cook this in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. The dumplings need a little space to plump up. This makes quite a bit of chow. It is a more than healthy serving for four people.
This Southwest Chowder with Cornbread Dumplings is sure to become a favorite for you and your family. Try it and let me know what you think!!Print
Southwest Chowder with Cornbread Dumplings
A hearty southwest chowder is packed with veggies and tender sausage. Serve this soul-warming dish with fresh, homemade cornbread dumplings for a true southwestern meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb pork sausage (I used Jimmy Dean’s natural sausage)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 4 ounce can fire roasted, peeled and chopped green chilies
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- In large stockpot over medium low heat brown sausage, add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook one minute. Add chicken broth, taco seasoning, green chilies, tomatoes, corn and black beans. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- In small bowl mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Make well in center and add milk, butter and parsley. Stir just until combined. Turn the chowder up to a low boil Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the chowder. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Resist the urge to peek on the dumplings.
Keywords: southwest chowder, cornbread dumplings, southwest soup, southwestern soup, homemade cornbread dumplings
Other delicious Recipes You might Love!
Sausage & Penne Soupe