Every once in while I create a recipe for breakfast that is just the bomb. This was one of those recipes! I just kind of put it together on a whim and it really worked.
His and hers tortilla pie. Delicious! Especially on this cold winter day!
Topped with a dab of sour cream and who could ask for more.
Well I guess it would be even better with a warm cup of Joe!Print
Squash Tortilla Pie
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 small zucchini sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 small yellow squash sliced 1/4″ thick
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack
- 3 eight inch tortillas
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- Cilantro chopped
- Olive oil
- In colander place zucchini and yellow squash sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 20-30 minutes. This will remove water and improve your recipe. Rinse with cool water and dry well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 10 inch ovenproof skillet on medium heat. Add onion, red pepper, zucchini and yellow squash. Cook for 3 minutes or until squash is lightly browned. Remove from pan cover and keep warm.
- Mix eggs, egg whites and milk. Fold in cheese.
- Using the same skillet warm the tortillas one at a time. Place one of the tortillas back in the pan. Layer with 1/2 the veggies. Add another tortilla and layer with rest of veggies. Pour egg mixture over the top and bake for 20-22 minutes or until set.
- Sprinkle with green onions and fresh cilantro.