This bright and colorful Succotash Recipe is a delicious summer salad that is easy to make and quick to come together. It is the perfect summer grilling side. We love to serve it with Grilled Marinated Chicken, Grilled Flank Steak and Marinated Herb Butter T-Bone Steaks.
Chances are pretty good that you may know nothing about Succotash. In fact the only thing that you may know about Succotash is that the cartoon character, Sylvester the cat used to say “Sufferin succotash.” This Succotash Recipe combines lima beans, black eyed peas, sun ripened tomatoes, sweet corn, onions, garlic, okra, crisp smoked bacon, fresh chives and paprika into a delectable side dish or light meal.
How do you make Summer Succotash Recipe?
Start by frying the bacon in a large skillet, preferably a cast iron reserving the bacon grease. Add the onions and okra cooking over medium heat until the edges on the onions and okra begin to brown. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic and butter the last minute of cooking. Remove from the heat and let cool while you start prepping the rest.
Meanwhile heat the grill to medium. Add the corn and cook until lightly charred. This will take about 15 -20 minutes. Turn the corn about every 5 minutes. Once cooled cut the kernels off the cobs.
Drain and rinse the lima beans and black eyed peas. Grab a large bowl and add the lima beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes and corn. Add the cooled onions, okra and garlic making sure to add the butter too. Toss in the crisp bacon, chives, paprika, cider vinegar and season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste. This recipe is best served promptly but I have reheated to room temperature in the microwave on a reduced power with good success.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Use either fresh, frozen or canned lima beans and black eyed peas
- If available purchase nitrate free smoked bacon.
- Fresh garden tomatoes and corn are excellent in this as the tomatoes and corn are the stars of the show.
- Cook the corn on the grill until lightly charred and tender.
- If possible use fresh okra although if not available you can substitute frozen okra.
- For a change of taste substitute parsley, basil or cilantro for the chopped chives.
- For best results serve this dish promptly although I have refrigerated and reheated at a low power in the microwave to bring it back to room temperature with fairly good results.
This Summer Succotash Recipe is delicious, easy and quick. What are you waiting for? Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and wow your family.
More summer salad recipes to try!
Summer Succotash Recipe
This bright and colorful Succotash Recipe is a delicious summer salad that is easy to make and quick to come together. It is the perfect summer grilling side.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: vegetable salad
- Method: stove top/grill
- Cuisine: Southern
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups okra sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 ears corn shucked and silks removed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Fry bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat; reserving bacon grease. Remove to paper towels to drain. Coarsely chop.
- Add onion and okra to skillet. Cook until lightly browned on the edges; approximately 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic and butter; cook for 1 minute stirring several times. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Heat grill to medium. Cook corn for 15-20 minutes; turn every 5 minutes. Once cooled cut kernels from the cob.
- In a large bowl combine the lima beans, black eyed peas, corn, tomatoes. Gently stir in the cooled onions, okra, garlic and butter. Toss in the crisp bacon, chives, paprika and cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: summer succotash, succotash, classic succotash, succotash salad, succotash with bacon, succotash with bacon and chive, summer salad, summer vegetable salad
On the hunt for more delicious recipes? Follow Small Town Woman on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.https://www.smalltownwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Beth-1.pdf
This was the first time I used okra in a recipe and loved it! Thank you for sharing this summer gem!
Best summer side dish ever! We are definitely making it again!
Lots of tasty ingredients! It’s filling & a delicious way to get in so many healthy veggies!
this is so fresh and yummy! love using our garden tomatoes in it
Absolutely fantastic! So many delicious flavors in one bowl.
Such an amazing dish that is super easy to make as well!
Love this summer salad, it will go great with my next bbq!
Thanks Jack! Enjoy!!
What a wonderfully vibrant salad. So nutritious too.
Now this would make me forget all about the mains! LOVE me some okra! I dont eat pork, but beef jerky would work too right?
Sufferin,, succotash -OMG too funny! This recipes looks so healthy and delicious! Can’t wait to try!!
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness
Oh wow, your closeups are making me drool. This is so perfect for the summer. Bookmarked for later, thank you!!
I found this recipe on Pinterest and was interested when I noticed It is very similar to what we make in the South and refer to as a Southern Succotash. My mom occasionally adds okra to hers, but we usually do not add black-eyed peas or chives. I am going to give this a whirl for our next potluck and see how the family likes some of the changes. Changes are sometimes a GREAT thing in my book. I’m super excited to try your variation and see what I have been missing.
I made this yesterday and OMG so good! I can’t wait to have this at my next BBQ!
This looks like the perfect summer side dish. Love the addition of bacon, yum!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert
This couldn’t look any more perfect! This looks fabulous!
Yummy! My whole family will love this recipe!
What a light and flavorful side dish with dinner! Can’t wait to enjoy this tonight; yum!
I’ve never tried succotash but this looks delicious!!
My addiction to bacon is strong. Whay have I never thought to add it to succotash??? Genius!
This is totally my kind of summer salad! SO flavorful!
I discovered succotash through Anthony Bourdain’s (RIP) cookbook (of all places) and fell in love with it. How could I have been a lima bean lover all my life and never tried succotash?! But yours has BACON – OMG – what a wonderful thing to do to succotash -yum!
A delicious bowl full of flavour, not to mention gorgeous colours. This is a dish that will be on repeat in my household for sure.
LOVE this recipe for light summer dinners and perfect easy next day leftovers. I also made it for a bbq last weekend at a friends house and everyone raved about it – healthy and delicious!
This Bowl is so colorful. Amazing and loads of combination makes it so very special. Love your recipe.
I’ve had succotash before, but never with bacon – this is definitely going in summer rotation at our house!
This recipe is awesome! Needed to give it 5 stars ..yum!
This recipe looks so good. And perfect for potlucks and picnics!
What an absolute delicious side! I’m certain this would go excellent along side any dish!
The perfect summer recipe! I love all the ingredients!
I know this will sure to be a hit at our next BBQ! Thank you for such an amazing side dish.
I love the addition of bacon in this recipe! It looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!