Well spring is here and with it comes lots of new beginnings and inspiring things. The beautiful deciduous trees are budding out. They are going to explode any day now. My redbud trees and crabapple trees are in full bloom and boy are they beautiful. It is a wonderful time of the year and perfect for trying new recipes. This Sun Dried Tomato and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken is a brand new recipe and it is perfect for all that spring has to offer.
Chicken has got to be one of the most versatile meats ever. Here are some fun interesting facts about chickens.
- There are more than 25 billion chickens in the world clearly making them the largest bird species.
- They can fly short distances like clearing a fence or making it up into a small tree.
- They are omnivores. They like seed and bugs but are known to snack on something larger like a mouse.
The versatility of chicken is endless and is only limited by your own imagination. Have you tried any of my other chicken recipes like Honey Mustard Chicken Snap Pea Salad, Easy Creamy Chicken Mushroom Asparagus Skillet or my Three Cheese Crispy Chicken?
Sun Dried Tomato and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken is perfect for your next dinner party and simple enough for your family weeknight meal. It combines sun dried tomatoes, spinach and mozzarella baked chicken breasts drizzled with a light creamy wine sauce with a hint of Dijon. It is a full meal served with a simple vegetable side of broccoli or asparagus. If you want to go over the top it is delicious on a bed of rice or pan fried potatoes.
This Sun Dried Tomato and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken is delectable, easy and company worthy. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah a great glass of wine to go along with it! How about a nice pinot grigio!!!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices of mozzarella (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 16 sun-dried tomatoes (I use the ones packed in olive oil and Italian herbs)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut a horizontal pocket into each chicken breast being careful not to go all the way through. Stuff each breast with one slice of mozzarella, 4 dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup spinach. Secure with toothpicks. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet. Brown chicken breasts on both sides. Move to casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes depending on size of chicken breasts. .
- Meanwhile using the same skillet heat remaining tablespoon olive oil over low heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant; less than 1 minute. Add white wine and reduce by half. Add chicken broth and Dijon mustard; cook for 1 minute. Add cream and simmer until slightly thickened approximately 5-7 minutes; whisking frequently. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Spoon sauce over warm chicken.
Alcohol free version replace wine with 2 more tablespoons of low sodium chicken broth.
Other recipes you will love!