TRIPLE CHEESE SAUSAGE ZUCCHINI BOATS MAKE FOR AN EASY DELICIOUS LOW CARB MEAL. THEY ARE THE PERFECT BUSY FAMILY WEEKNIGHT MEAL AND CAN BE ASSEMBLED AHEAD OF TIME AND POPPED IN THE OVEN THIRTY MINUTES PRIOR TO DINNER TIME.
The whole family just loves these low carb seven ingredient delectable zucchini boats. This amazing recipe is so incredibly easy that even your tween can handle it.
WHAT IS ZUCCHINI?
Zucchini is a smooth green summer squash. It is delicious baked, sauteed, stuffed, stir fried and shredded to use in cakes, muffins, breads and even pancakes. Many of us have the pleasure of enjoying it year round as most of it is grown in the warm climates of Central American and Mexico. Zucchini is an outstanding source of manganese, vitamin C, and dietary fiber so if you have never tried zucchini you really should give it a whirl.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI BOATS?
Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and using a melon baller or metal spoon hallow out the center leaving about a 1/4 inch of the flesh and skin on the sides and bottom. Do not peel and do not precook. Stuff the zucchini with various cooked meats, sauces and cheeses. My favorite is the Triple Cheese and Sausage but here are some other ideas.
- Taco Boats stuffed with taco seasoned beef, chopped tomatoes, black beans, cilantro and a Mexican cheese blend.
- Pizza Boats stuffed with marinara, mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano and mini pepperonis.
- Enchilada Boats stuffed with shredded chicken, sweet onion, enchilada sauce, green chiles, tomatoes, sour cream and cheddar cheese
The possibilities for zucchini boats are endless.
This simple recipe is so delectable. It is a meal all by itself. It tastes like you spent hours fixing it but in reality it can be prepped and in the oven in about 20 minutes. Kids just love it and they do not even realize that they are eating squash. You need to bake these for your loved ones. They will be singing your accolades.
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE!
- Zucchini Gratin with Yellow Squash
- Zucchini Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Spring Vegetable Gnocchi
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Carrot Apple Zucchini Bread
This post was originally published June 12, 2016 and was republished on August 14, 2018 with new information and pictures.
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded Parmesan
- 1 1/4 cups marinara
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup shredded provel or provolone
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13” casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or metal teaspoon, hollow out the center of each zucchini leaving about 1/4 inch on the sides. Place them skin side down in the casserole dish.
- Brown sausage over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Allow to cool 5 minutes and stir in Parmesan. Spoon sausage mixture into hallowed out zucchini.
- Spoon marinara over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella and provel.
- Bake for 30 -35 minutes.