This delicious Zucchini Casserole combines fresh grated zucchini with eggs, cheese, cream, onions, garlic and chives. It is perfect served with any grilled entrees, baked fish or roasted chicken. Last night I served it with Grilled Marinated Chicken and Summer Fruit Salad. It was a deliciously simple meal.
If your summer is anything like ours than zucchini is fresh and plentiful. Chances are likely that your garden has zucchini, your neighbors garden has zucchini and your farmer’s market is overloaded with zucchini. That is not such a bad place to be because I have plenty of zucchini recipes for you! This Zucchini Casserole is an easy kid friendly family favorite and it uses 5-6 large zucchinis! So now you have purpose for all those bushels and bushels of squash. In addition to all of that it is low carb and keto friendly.
How do you make Zucchini Casserole?
Prepping the zucchini
Start by grating your zucchini with the largest section of a box grater or a food processor with the shredding attachment. I personally like the box grater for this recipe because zucchini is very easy to grate and I don’t like washing and drying all the food processor parts. Now after you grate each zucchini place it in a colander (that is in the sink) and sprinkle with salt. Now repeat grating the next zucchini and place in the colander on top of the first grated zucchini and sprinkle with salt. Repeat this process until all the zucchini are grated and salted.
Let the zucchini sit for about 20 minutes while you get the rest of the ingredients ready to go. Now comes the fun part. Grab a clean cotton kitchen towel (I think cotton works better) and place a handful of that grated salted zucchini in the middle. Working over the sink, twist and squeeze that towel as tight as you can to get out as much water as possible! This step is the most important part in making a scrumptious zucchini casserole. As you finish each handful drop the squeezed zucchini in a large bowl.
Preparing the Zucchini Casserole
Now add the eggs, Gouda, cheddar, Parmesan, cream, onions, garlic, chives, salt and pepper to the zucchini in the bowl. Stir to combine and spoon into a well greased casserole dish. I use a 9×9 inch dish but you can also use an 8×8 and just increase the baking time by a few minutes. Place the casserole in the middle of the oven and bake for about 45 minutes. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Tips for making this Zucchini Casserole
- Squeeze as much moisture as possible out the grated zucchini.
- Bring your eggs to room temperature so they mix better and rise more evenly.
- Chop your onion well or grate it. You want the onion to blend in with the zucchini.
- Spray or grease your casserole dish well to avoid pieces that stick on the edges.
- Feel free to vary your cheese with sharp cheddar, colby, fontina, Provolone, Gruyère, Monterey Jack or Muenster.
- Although this is not low carb or keto friendly you can add 2 cups of cooked rice to the mix before baking,
- If desired (also not low carb or keto friendly) mix 2/3 cup Panko Breadcrumbs with 3 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle over the top of the casserole before baking.
- Bake until set and lightly browned.
Fear not my food loving friends Zucchini Casserole has never tasted so good. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and treat your family! They will be singing your accolades!
Other zucchini recipes to try
This super easy delicious casserole is filled with garden fresh zucchini, farm fresh eggs, creamy Gouda, sharp white cheddar and sweet Parmesan with a generous helping of fresh minced garlic.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9 servings
- Category: vegetable casserole
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 5 large zucchini shredded
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Gouda Cheese
- 1/2 cup finely shredded white cheddar
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9×9 inch baking dish.
- Place 1 cup grated zucchini (1 zucchini) in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Repeat with another cup of zucchini and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Repeat until all the zucchini is salted. Let set for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup grated zucchini to center of clean kitchen towel. Twist up and squeeze as much of the moisture out of the zucchini as possible. Add squeezed zucchini to large mixing bowl. Repeat until all the zucchini has been twisted and squeezed.
- In same large mixing bowl add eggs, Gouda, cheddar, Parmesan, cream, onions, garlic, chives, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour into casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Keywords: zucchini casserole, cheese zucchini casserole, vegetable casserole, casserole, zucchini casserole recipe, zucchini recipe
On the hunt for more delicious recipes? Follow Small Town Woman on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.https://www.smalltownwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Beth-1.pdf
This sounds delicious. Do you think you could make this in advance and freeze it? If so, how would you suggest reheating it? Thank you!
Sorry. I do not recommend freezing this dish. Zucchini releases a lot of water and it will affect the overall taste of the dish.
This was absolutely delicious! I’m not even an egg fan, but I’m keto so I’m so happy I’ve found a recipe I’ll be using over and over! Thank you!!
Thanks Rebecca! So glad that you liked it!
This looks delicious. Zucchini comes in diferent sizes. Can you tell me how many pounds or how many cups of shredded zucchini these 5 zucchini should make? Thank you.
Sorry about the delay. I have been a little under the weather. You will need about 8-10 cups of shredded zucchini.
i bet this would be good with chopped ham added to it !
I bet so too! How yummy!
I really loved it! So easy to make and really tasty!
Super delicious and healthy, the perfect breakfast dish!
Great dish! We really loved it!
Love that this is keto & low carb friendly!! Love zucchini in recipes & this looks so good!
Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables. Plus, your recipe looks so easy to make! I am gonna make it for sure!
I do not have a green thumb and not able to grow zucchini to save my life! But I will be purchasing zucchini to make this delicious recipe!
Wow this is yummy! Zucchini is in abundance at our local market, and I often find myself with way to much, this is a great use for it!
I love using Zucchinis and the idea of making it in a casserole sounds amazing!
Omg Gosh this dish looks so yummy! This dish makes the perfect side dish to any summer meal. I cannot wait to make this for my grill out this weekend! All the ingredients are perfect!!