These easy Microwave Scotcheroos are chewy peanut butter rice krispie bars topped with a two ingredient chocolate butterscotch topping. The end result is a deliciously easy sweet treat that your whole family will love made in about ten minutes.
I love to make sweet, easy and quick treats for neighbors, potlucks and family shindigs. These Microwave Scotcheroos come together in about ten minutes plus cooling time. They are perfect for busy families not wanting to show up without a treat. They are always a hit and they go like hotcakes.
How do you make Microwave Scotcheroos?
Start by adding your sugar and corn syrup to a wide microwavable bowl. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on full power. Remove from the microwave and stir until the bowl does not feel warm anymore. The sugar should start to dissolve into the corn syrup. If it has not microwave for 15 second intervals stirring between each one. Do not go too long as you do not want to boil the mixture. You just want to dissolve the sugar. Now working quickly add the peanut butter and stir to mix. Now add the rice cereal and stir to coat. Press into a well greased 9×13 inch casserole and pat to even the bars.
Now grab another wide microwaveable bowl and add the chocolate and butterscotch chips. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes at 50% power. Remove from the microwave and stir until the bowl is no longer warm. Continue microwaving at 30 second 50% power intervals until melted and smooth. Stir between each interval until the bowl is no longer warm. Spread the chocolate butterscotch mixture over the bars. Allow the bars to cool and chocolate to harden at room temperature before you slice them.
Helpful tips for making Microwave Scotcheroos
- Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish or pan well to aid in getting those delicious treats out easily.
- This recipe moves very quickly so have everything you need measured and in close proximity.
- Do not boil the corn syrup and sugar. You are simply heating to dissolve the sugar. If you boil it the bars will be hard not soft and chewy.
- I really prefer this recipe with creamy peanut butter however it will work with crunchy as well.
- Use a small piece of wax paper to gently smooth the crispy rice and peanut butter mixture in the pan.
- Let the bars cool right on the counter top. Do not refrigerate them.
- To store keep them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Use good quality chocolate and butterscotch chips. Amazon sells Guittard Butterscotch chips if you can not find quality chips locally.
Can you freeze Scotcheroos?
Yes you most certainly can. First allow the bars to fully cool. Store in a sturdy freezer container with wax paper between the layers. For best results freeze no more than four weeks.
Other dessert bars you will love!
- Lemon Bars
- Lip Smacking Good Cherry Pie Crumble Bars
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars
- German Chocolate Gooey Butter
- Strawberry Shortcake Bars
Family friendly easy no bake microwaveable peanut rice krispie bars topped with melted chocolate and butterscotch.
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 1 1/3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups butterscotch chips
- Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large microwavable bowl, microwave corn syrup and sugar together for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until the bowl cools. If necessary microwave for 15 more seconds. Do not boil the mixture. You are just trying to dissolve the sugar into the corn syrup. Stir in peanut butter until blended. Add cereal stirring until coated. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- In a medium wide bowl add chocolate and butterscotch chips. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes at 50% power. Stir until the bowl is longer warm. Continue microwaving at 30 second 50% power intervals until melted and smooth; stirring between each interval until bowl is no longer warm. Spread over top of the cereal/peanut butter mixture.
- Allow bars to cool and chocolate to harden at room temperature before you slice them.