This Chicken Shawarma Recipe is chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, garlic, lemons, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and tumeric and then grilled to tender perfection. It is then served on soft pita bread with romaine, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, and feta cheese. Traditionally it is topped with a lightly seasoned garlic yogurt sauce .
I honestly believe that one can never too many great chicken recipes. After all chicken is one the tastiest least expensive forms of protein. This is one of our family’s favorite chicken recipes. The marinade makes the chicken so flavorful, slightly crispy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. The smell alone will have your mouth watering. Now take that delicious warm chicken and lay it on soft pita bread with crisp romaine, sweet red onions, sun ripened tomatoes, cool cucumbers, salty feta and smooth yogurt sauce. The end result is a little piece of heaven.
How do you make Chicken Shawarma Recipe?
First grab a large ziploc bag and add the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground tumeric, smoked paprika, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Carefully add the chicken, shake to coat and let marinate 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat your gas grill to 350 degrees and cook the chicken breasts 5-7 minutes each side. Chicken breasts are done when they reach an internal temperate of 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit. Once done remove them from the grill, cover loosely with an aluminum foil tent and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
While the chicken is resting grab a bowl and mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Are you always in a hurry? Prepare the yogurt sauce ahead of time and refrigerate.
Now slice the chicken in to small bite size pieces and serve with warm pita bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, feta cheese and the yogurt sauce.
Different ways to cook chicken for Chicken Shawarma
- Marinate the chicken breasts and cook over a gas or charcoal grill for 5-7 minutes each side. Chicken is cooked through when the juices run clear and it reaches an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees.
- Bake the marinated chicken breasts at 425 degrees for around 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Cut the chicken into small bite size pieces before marinating. Cook in a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium high heat for several minutes or until chicken is slightly crispy and cooked through.
Helpful tips for making Chicken Shawarma?
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs work equally well for this recipe. Of course thighs will cook a little faster so you will need to reduce the cooking time by several minutes.
- Marinating for about 2-3 hours is optimum for fabulous flavor without the acid from the lemons changing the consistency or texture of the chicken.
- For best results warm your pita bread by wrapping in aluminum foil and placing in a 350 degrees oven for about 10 minutes. Likewise you can heat it unwrapped on a microwave safe plate in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
- Are you watching your carbs? Skip the pita bread and serve as a salad.
- Serve this recipe promptly. Chicken dries out when reheated, warmed too long or cut too far in advance so plan accordingly.
- The yogurt sauce can be made up to two days in advance and stored in the fridge.
More chicken recipes you will love!
- Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Roll Ups
- Garlic Chicken
- Bourbon Chicken
- Roast Chicken & Vegetables
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
Marinated boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs are grilled to perfection and served on soft pita bread with fresh yogurt sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet red onion and feta cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes plus 3 hours marinate time
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal chicken
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: Greek
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise (1 1/4 –1 1/2 lbs)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper
- Pita bread warmed
- Romaine chopped
- Cucumber slices
- Grape tomatoes halved
- Feta cheese
- Red onions thinly sliced
- In a large ziploc bag add the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, ground tumeric, salt and fresh ground black pepper; shake to combine. Add chicken and marinate 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat gas grill to 350 degrees. Cook chicken breasts 5-7 minutes each side; chicken breasts are done when they reach an internal temperate of 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from grill, cover loosely with aluminum foil tent and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Slice chicken into small bite size pieces. In warm pita bread layer chicken, romaine, cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, red onions and yogurt sauce.
Keywords: how to make chicken shawarma, what is chicken shawarma, chicken shawarma wrap