This healthy chunky Chicken Vegetable soup is plump full of carrots, onions, potatoes, green beans and tomatoes. This quick soup is made easy using baked rotisserie chicken. I love to serve it to my family with Best Cornbread Recipe or Easy Sweet Maple Dinner Rolls.
The seasons are changing and fall is almost here. You can just feel it in the air. It is time for bonfires, sweaters and soup. We are a soup loving family and this hearty homemade Chicken Vegetable Soup is one of our favorites. This delectable soup is ready in a little over 30 minutes using one of those delicious already cooked rotisserie chickens. They are available at the big warehouse stores, local grocery stores and even Walmart. I picked one up at Costco and used half for sandwiches and the other half for my soup.
How do you make Chicken Vegetable Soup?
Heat a little vegetable oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot. Add the celery, carrots and onions and cook until the onions begin to brown just a touch on the edges. This usually takes about five minutes or so. Now turn the heat to medium low and add the oregano, parsley, basil, fresh ground black pepper and minced garlic. Cook for one minute stirring constantly so the garlic does not burn.
Then add the low sodium chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes, diced red potatoes and green beans. Let all of this simmer for about twenty minutes or until the potatoes and green beans are tender. Add the cut rotisserie chicken and warm for just a couple more minutes.
Helpful tips for making Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Cut, dice and cube everything fairly small so you can get a little bit of variety in every spoonful.
- Cooked rotisserie chickens are available almost anywhere and can be picked up a couple of days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
- If available use sweet Vidalia onions. They do add a little sweetness to this scrumptious soup.
- Canned fire roasted tomatoes can be found in most grocery stores. If not available substitute regular canned diced tomatoes.
- Red Potatoes are best for this soup because they hold their shape and will not break down. Yukon Golds would be my second choice. Stay away from Idaho Russets as they will break down and turn mushy.
- If there is a particular vegetable that you do not like substitute a different one.
- You can substitute noodles or rice for the potatoes. They will take about 15 minutes to cook while the soup is simmering so plan accordingly.
This family friendly easy soup is just perfect for warming those bones on a cold fall or winter evening. It is quick and easy making it doable on a weeknight. Well what are you waiting for? Put the ingredients on your shopping list and make your loved ones a heavenly pot of soup!!!
Other chicken soup recipes you will love!
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Easy Chicken Gumbo Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo
Chicken Vegetable Soup
An easy and quick family friendly soup full of hearty vegetables in a perfectly seasoned broth made easy using already cooked rotisserie chicken.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots peeled and cut in thin half rounds
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 lb red potatoes diced small
- 1/2 lb green beans trimmed and cut in 1 inch segments
- 3 cups cooked cubed rotisserie chicken
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot. Add celery, carrots and onions. Cook until the onions begin to brown on the edges; approximately 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium low. Add parsley, oregano, basil, fresh ground black pepper and minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add low sodium chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes, diced red potatoes and green beans. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and green beans are tender. Add cut rotisserie chicken; warm for 1-2 minutes.
If the chicken is cold from being refrigerated add 2-3 more minutes warming time.
Keywords: chicken vegetable soup, chicken soup, vegetable soup, easy chicken vegetable, quick vegetable soup, homemade chicken vegetable soup, chicken and vegetable soup