I am trying to muster up the energy to type up my thoughts on this post but my right hand (the one closest to the window) is frozen. It is so cold here! We are having one of the coldest winters in three decades. I have a space heater over by the window but Marshmallow (aka the dog) keeps moving and plastering her large behind right in front of the heater. So I have received absolutely no thawing for my frozen hand. I then get up go move the space heater and not two minutes later she is moving her derriere right in the front of the heater. This same action has gone down a dozen times but who’s counting. LOL!! This cold weather is making me nuts. I am fighting with the dog over a space heater. If you are stuck in a similar cold cycle I suggest you make yourself an awesome warm comfort meal. This Easy Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast would help you warm up from the inside out.
This Easy Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast combines bottom round roast with fire roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, oregano, basil, carrots and potatoes into one of the tastiest stews you will ever have. The bottom round roast is one of the least expensive cuts of beef but you really can turn it into a tasty little number. You can substitute chuck roast if you like. To me chuck is a little more flavorful but it also has a lot more fat. My husband does not like running into the fat so he prefers the bottom round roast.
One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy, Marinated Herb Butter T-Bone Steaks and Crock Pot Chuck Roast and Vegetables are a few of my other awesome beef comfort recipes. Pan Seared Garlic Butter Steak from Cafe Delites is a fellow blogger favorite.
So if you love warm delicious comfort meals that make you feel all cozy inside than put the ingredients for this Easy Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast on your shopping list today!
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 1/2 lb bottom round roast
- 2 large onions cut in thick slices
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 large carrots peeled and chunked
- 6 small red potatoes halved
- 1/4 cup flour
- On large shallow plate combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Dredge roast through flour mixture. Add canola oil to large skillet. Brown bottom round roast on all sides.
- Place onions on bottom of slow cooker. Add browned roast, fire roasted tomatoes, beef broth, crushed garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, carrots and red potatoes. Cook on Low setting; allow 6-8 hours. High setting; allow 4-6 hours Transfer roast, potatoes and carrots to a cutting board.
- Mix 1/4 cup flour with 1 cup of the the broth from the slow cooker; whisk until they are completely combined. Slowly whisk into the slow cooker. Cover and cook for five minutes.
- Slice the beef against the grain if it has not fallen apart. Return beef, potatoes and carrots to slow cooker on low for 20-30 minutes to meld all the flavors together.
Other comfort food recipes you will love!!