These moist, delectable and easy to make Morning Glory Muffins are loaded with carrots, raisins, walnuts, and coconut. They are always a hit with family and friends. I love to make a double batch and freeze half for on the go breakfasts.
Muffins are always a great addition to those hearty weekend breakfasts and busy but fun holiday brunches. These muffins, Cranberry Orange Muffins, Oatmeal Muffins, and Blueberry Muffins are just a few family and fried favorites.
How to make Morning Glory Muffins
Start by whisking together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl stir together the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar, carrots and apple. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient stirring just until barely incorporated. Then fold in the raisins, walnuts, and coconut. Avoid any over stirring or overmixing so the dough does not get tough.
Now spoon the batter into the muffin liners filling them all the way up. Bake for about 20-2 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out fairly clean with just a few moist crumbs.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Line the cupcake/muffin tin with liners. They really help keep the muffins from sticking to the pan. I really like the unbleached chlorine free ones. They peel away perfectly from muffins and cupcakes
- Do not overmix the batter. Mix just until combined and no further. Overmixing the batter can cause overactive gluten leading to tough and gummy muffins.
- Always preheat the oven for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.
- If there is an ingredient that you do not like simply omit it or substitute for it.
- Do not overbake the muffins. Cook just until a toothpick inserted in the top center of one of the muffins comes out fairly clean with just a few moist crumbs..
- Fully cool the muffins before storing in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or up to 5 days in the fridge.
- To freeze fully cool them before placing in heavy duty freezer bags. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe variations and substitutions
- Flour – substitute whole wheat flour or a combination of both whole wheat and all purpose.
- Fruit – substitute dried cranberries, dried figs, prunes, dried cherries, or dried apricots for the raisins. Substitute well drained crushed pineapple for the applesauce.
- Nuts – substitute pecans, almond slices or slivers, macadamia nuts, or pistachios
- Seeds – add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, or poppy seeds.
Sweet bread recipes you will love!
- Banana Nut Bread
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Strawberry Bread
- Coconut Bread
- Zucchini Bread
- Apple Bread with Cinnamon Pecan Crunch
Morning Glory Muffins
These delectable Morning Glory Muffins are loaded with dried fruit, carrots, and nuts. These moist muffins are perfect for those busy on the go school day breakfasts and long leisurely Sunday brunches with family.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: muffins
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup peeled and shredded apple
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl stir together the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar, carrots and apple. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient stirring just until barely incorporated.
- Fold in the raisins, walnuts, and coconut. Avoid any over stirring or overmixing so the dough does not get tough.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin liners filling them all the way up. Bake for 10 minutes. Then reduce the oven to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Keywords: morning glory muffin recipe, best morning glory muffins, what is a morning glory muffin, carrot muffins, apple carrot muffins