These Blueberry Muffins with crumb topping are just heavenly. They are slightly crunchy on the outside, sweet and soft on the inside and plump full of sweet juicy blueberries with a delectable sweet cinnamon crumb topping.
Calling all blueberry lovers and you know who you are!! Blueberries are by far my favorite fruit! They are just perfect in every way!! Blueberries are just so versatile and are full of anti oxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber. Following strawberries blueberries are the second most popular berry in the United States. These Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping are simply amazing. They are slightly crunchy on the outside and sweet and soft on the inside with just the right amount of blueberries.
The topping on these Blueberry Muffins is an absolute essential. It puts the muffins over the top and gives the muffin a perfect crunch achieving that better than bakery style taste we are all longing for. These muffins are perfect for weekday on the run breakfasts yet fancy enough for a Mother’s Day brunch.
How do you make Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping?
First you are going to mix your crumb topping. In a small bowl using a fork or pastry knife mix together sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Go ahead and set that aside while you prepare the batter.
Now in a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Then in a small bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and oil. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir just until combined. Add 1 tablespoon of batter to each muffin hole in the prepared pan. Now carefully fold in the blueberries and divide the batter evenly in the pan. Top each muffin evenly with the crumb topping that you set aside. Bake in preheated oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Helpful tips for making Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Always preheat your oven and load the filled muffin tin on the middle rack in the center of the oven.
- Save yourself a little money and make your own buttermilk by adding 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1/3 cup milk. Let it set for 5 minutes and then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Always use the biggest freshest blueberries you can get your hands on.
- Spray the muffin pan liberally with nonstick baking spray or grease well. You don’t want your beautiful creations sticking.
- You can use muffin or cupcake liners but I like the texture from the muffin baking against the hot tin.
- Do not over work the batter. Mix just combined.
- Add a tablespoon of batter to the muffin pan before folding in the blueberries to keep the berries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- Remove muffins from tin after 5-10 minutes. I cover the tin with a large clean kitchen towel and and carefully invert. I lose a little bit of the crumb topping but the muffins are all lightly crispy on the outside and non of them are damaged from trying to get them out with a knife.
These fabulous Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping come together quickly. They bake up just perfect every time and they are one of our absolute favorite muffins!! Put these simply AMAZING Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping on your to try list today. In fact the weekend is almost here and these would be a fabulous treat for you and your loved ones.
Other blueberry recipes you will love!
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars
- Blueberry Mojito
- Blueberry Cheesecakes in Mason Jars
- Cream Cheese Dumplings with Blueberry Sauce
- Blueberry Bellini Cocktails
This post was originally published May 3, 2018 and was republished December 19, 2019 with new content.
Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
Family friendly and easy to make these Blueberry Muffins are perfect for an on the go breakfast or a fancy holiday brunch. They are plump full of fresh berries and topped with a delectable cinnamon crumb topping.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: breakfast muffins
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter softened and cut in four tablespoons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- In small bowl using a fork mix brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, butter and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 12 count muffin pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In medium bowl whisk together 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. In small bowl whisk together egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture: stirring just until combined. Using a tablespoon spoon one tablespoon of batter into each muffin hole (this will help keep your blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins). Fold blueberries in remaining batter. Spoon batter into the muffin holes dividing equally. Divide crumb topping that you aside equally over the top of the muffins.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes. Check after 20 minutes.
- Remove muffins from tin after cooling for 5-10 minutes. See helpful hints above.
Keywords: muffins, best blueberry muffin recipe, best blueberry muffins, blueberry muffins, blueberry muffins recipe, blueberry muffins with crumb topping, buttermilk blueberry muffins, easy blueberry muffins, how to make blueberry muffins