This Skillet Sausage and Potatoes is about as simple and delicious as it gets!! It is full of healthy ingredients and is quick to fix. This is the perfect meal for the busy family. I prepare this on weekday nights when the evenings are full of homework, laundry and blogging.
How do you make Skillet Sausage and Potatoes?
First boil the potatoes in a large pot of water for about 15 minutes. Run under cold water or place in refrigerator to chill. Dice potatoes in bite size chunks after they are chilled.
In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil. Add the potatoes and cook until lightly browned on the edges. This usually takes approximately fifteen minutes. Then add the sausage, onion, red pepper and green pepper. Cook until the sausages are lightly browned and the vegetables are crisp tender. Now lower the heat and add the garlic cooking for an additional one minute. Season to taste with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.
Helpful tips for making One Skillet Sausage and Potatoes
- Boil the potatoes until just starting to become fork tender. Larger red potatoes will take longer than smaller ones.
- Try a good quality chicken sausage without nitrates and added preservatives.
- Plan ahead and boil the potatoes. That way they will have plenty of time to chill and they will dice more easily.
- In a hurry? Skip the boiling and just cut your potato chunks a little smaller and add a little more skillet cooking time. You can also top the skillet with a loose piece of aluminum foil to speed up the cooking process.
- Cook the potatoes in the skillet until they are almost completely fork tender as it does not take long to brown the sausage and cook the onions and peppers.
- Season to taste with plenty of salt and pepper. I like a sprinkling of Cajun seasoning which I find fairly mild but you might prefer a little rosemary and garlic powder.
It is quick to pull together but not short on flavor and look at all those wholesome ingredients. Nature sure has a way of delivering the best goods to us!! It is seasoned lightly as to not mask the wonderful flavors of such delectable food. I often use Aidell’s Chicken Sausage but this was made with the Aidell’s Pineapple and Bacon Chicken Sausage. I hope you love this easy no frills but scrumptious recipe as much as we do! Bon appetit my food loving friends!!
Other one pot dinners you will love!
- One Skillet Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- One Pot Beef and Macaroni
- One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy
- One Pot Easy Taco Rotini Pasta
- One Pot Italian Chicken Tortellini
This post was originally published September 25, 2016 and was republished July 1, 2019 with new content.Print
Skillet Sausage & Potatoes
A tasty easy one skillet recipe that comes together quickly making it perfect for busy families.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: main meal sausage
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 links chicken sausage (12 ounces) cut in 1/2 inch wide rounds
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt & pepper
- Cajun seasoning
- Boil potatoes in large pot of water for 15 minutes. Run under cold water or place in refrigerator to chill. Dice potatoes after chilled.
- In large skillet over medium heat add olive oil. Add potatoes and cook until lightly browned on edges ;approximately 15 minutes. Add sausage, onion, red pepper and green pepper. Cook until the sausages are browned and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and cook for additional 90 seconds.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.
Keywords: chicken sausage and potatoes, sausage and potatoes, skillet sausage and potatoes, one skillet dinner