This Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk is one of my absolute favorite dishes. This dish combines red curry, onions, carrots, and stewed tomatoes in a creamy coconut milk base.
Have you ever tried Chicken curry? Or any curried dish? I love them so much! This Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk will leaving you licking your plate. It is just that good and I have a couple of helpful hints that will make this curry epic.
What is curry?
Curry is a broad term used to describe not only all Indian cuisine but some Thai cuisine as well. Curry dishes are saucy dishes with vegetables and sometimes meat. They are full of flavor, very fragrant and sometimes spicy.
What is red curry?
Red curry is mildly spicy yet very bold on flavor. It gets it’s flavor from red chili peppers, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and lemongrass. You can find red curry paste in the Asian food section and red curry powder in the spice section of finer grocery stores. I prefer using the paste as I think it tastes better, fresher, and is certainly for aromatic.
Where can I find the coconut milk for Chicken Curry?
The coconut milk that you need for this recipe is canned and is in the Asian food section of your grocery store. The coconut milk that is in the dairy section next to the cows milk and cream does not work with curried dishes. It has been diluted with too much water and will not reduce enough to make a creamy sauce.
How to make Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
Whisk together a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and curry paste in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften stirring frequently. Add the carrots, ginger and chicken and cook until the chicken is almost cooked through. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Now add the stewed tomatoes and let the dish cook for a few minutes melding all the flavors together. Stir in the coconut milk, brown sugar, crushed garlic and tomato paste. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce and let everything co-mingle. Serve over rice or noodles.
Helpful hints for making the best curry!
- If possible buy the curry paste. It is more flavorful and fragrant than its dried cousin.
- Cut your onions thin and your chicken in small bite size pieces so they cook quickly.
- Use fresh ginger or ginger paste.
- Allow your curry and onions to cook for about ten minutes. However make sure you stay close by to stir. If the mixture becomes to thick add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Shred the carrot using the largest hole on the grater.
- Use good quality canned tomatoes and tomato paste. I personally like the Muir Glen brand.
- Last but not least enjoy your meal.
This flavor packed Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk is simply delicious. So if you are tired of same mundane chicken recipes over and over again this will most definitely tickle your fancy.
More fabulous chicken recipes!
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Sesame Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Divan Recipe
- Nashville Hot Chicken KFC Copycat
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
This Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk dish combines red curry, onions, carrots, and stewed tomatoes in a creamy coconut milk base.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Meal
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Thai
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 (14.5) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large skillet over medium heat whisk together olive oil and curry paste. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften stirring frequently. Add the carrots, ginger and chicken and cook until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to simmer. Add the stewed tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, brown sugar, crushed garlic and tomato paste. Simmer for 10-15 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Keywords: coconut curry chicken, chicken, curried chicken, curry chicken, curry, dinner, Thai cuisine