Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe is a family favorite. This scrumptious crispy chicken is both sweet and salty with just a hint of spice. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and tastes so much better than takeout.
We love to make Chinese cuisine. So easy to make and tastes so fresh right out of the pan or wok.
Do you like Chinese? We just love it. Most Asian dishes are easy to prepare once you learn just a few tricks to the trade. This Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe is one of my favorites and absolutely one of the easiest. You can definitely swing this on a weeknight.
How to make Sesame Chicken Recipe.
With this recipe I prefer pan fried chicken bites to deep fried chicken bites. Don’t get me wrong I love fried chicken but this is a quick in and out easy recipe. We don’t want it convoluted with a big fried mess. So first simply shake those pieces of chicken up with a little cornstarch in a large Ziploc bag. This will give the chicken pieces just a little bit of crisp. Now simply pan fry them in just a little bit of oil over medium high heat.
Meanwhile in saucepan over low heat add a little oil. Cook garlic until fragrant which usually takes less than one minute. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey and chili sauce. Simmer while you finish pan frying the chicken.
Add cornstarch to water and whisk into sauce. Cook until thickened. Wipe out the pan that you were frying in. Turn the heat to medium high and add the sesame seeds and toast. Remove toasted sesame seeds to bowl. Return the cooked chicken to skillet. Stir in sauce and sprinkle with scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve over rice or Chinese noodles.
This Sesame Chicken Recipe has a hint of spice to it but the honey makes it very mellow. If in doubt add the chili sauce very slowly and taste. Your taste buds will tell you when to stop.
Helpful hints when making this honey Sesame Chicken Recipe.
- Lots of my readers just love lots of sauce. If you are one of these people double the ingredients for the sauce.
- This recipe is best served right away. If for some reason you get held up don’t combine the sauce and chicken. Save that part until right before you sit down at the table.
- If the sauce sits too long and gets too thick add 1-2 tablespoons of water at a time until desired thickness.
- Take a few minutes and toast the sesame seeds. It is well worth the effort.
- Chicken thighs can be substituted for the chicken breasts. They are just as delicious.
Other Chinese Recipes that will knock your socks off!
This scrumptious Sesame Chicken Recipe is both sweet and salty with just a hint of spice. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and tastes like heaven.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Meal
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast fillets cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 – 4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce (sambal oelek)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 green onions trimmed and sliced in one inch pieces
- In large Ziploc bag shake chicken pieces and 1/4 cup cornstarch. In large saucepan over medium heat add 2 tablespoons canola oil. Fry the chicken in batches; flipping over to brown both sides. Remove to plate when browned. Fry in batches; adding oil when necessary.
- In small sauce pan add one tablespoon canola oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey and chili sauce. Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch to water and whisk into sauce pan. Cook until slightly thickened.
- Wipe out the pan that you fried the chicken in. Turn the heat to medium high and add the sesame seeds and toast for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned; stirring frequently. Remove toasted sesame seeds to bowl. Return the cooked chicken to skillet. Stir in sauce and sprinkle with scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve over rice or Chinese noodles.
Keywords: ASIAN, ASIAN INSPIRED RECIPE, CHICKEN, DINNER, EASY, SESAME CHICKEN, SESAME OIL, STIR FRY