Scrumptious colorful Easy Pasta Primavera is the perfect weeknight family meal. Crisp tender vegetables and Parmesan cheese bring Penne pasta to the table with plenty of natures nutrition. This delicious recipe comes together in less than thirty minutes.
Boy summer is coming to a close in just a few weeks. Although there is still plenty of time to soak up some more great summer vegetables while they are at their best. This Easy Pasta Primavera is the perfect summer meal with tons of bright crisp vegetables like onions, bell peppers, asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes. The pasta and vegetables are tossed in extra virgin olive oil, sprinkled with Parmesan Cheese and seasoned with fresh basil and oregano. It makes for a light yet satisfying meal for those Indian summer days.
How do you make Easy Pasta Primavera?
Start by chopping all your vegetables into bite size pieces. Next boil your noodles according to package instructions. Drain well and toss with a little bit of olive oil.
Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers and asparagus to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring a couple of times. Now add the zucchini and yellow squash. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring several times. Reduce the heat to low and add the tomatoes, minced garlic, onion powder and dried marjoram. Cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese and add the cooked penne pasta to the skillet. Sprinkle the top of the pasta with a little bit of olive oil and 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese. Finally stir to mix and coat, season with fresh chopped basil, fresh oregano, salt and freshly ground black pepper. If desired top with more Parmesan Cheese.
This pasta is best served right away but with busy families arriving home for dinner at different times it does heat up in the microwave well.
Tips for making Easy Pasta Primavera Epic
- Cook the pasta somewhat al dente (firm). It will hold up better to being reheated with the veggies and Parmesan cheese.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained well but still somewhat hot drizzle with olive oil to keep from sticking.
- Do not overcook the vegetables. They are best crisp tender for this recipe.
- If you don’t like the vegetables in this recipe swap them out for ones you do like. Perhaps you really hate asparagus so substitute with broccoli. As I always say don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
- Use freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. It is flavor packed and it really sends this dish over the top.
Can you substitute other vegetables in Pasta Primavera?
Yes you most certainly can! Just keep in mind when those substitutions would be added during the cooking process.
- frozen peas cooked in the microwave and added with the tomatoes and garlic
- fresh broccoli cut in small bite size pieces added with the onions and peppers
- baby spinach added at the same time as the tomatoes and garlic
- fresh cauliflower cut in small bite size pieces add with onions and peppers
- carrots cut in thin rounds or matchsticks added before the onions and peppers and cooked for 2 minutes prior
- crisp fresh green beans added before the onions and peppers and cooked for 1 minute prior
Other pasta recipes you will love!!
- Tortellini Pasta Salad (Vegetarian)
- Easy Skillet Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Chicken Broccoli Stuffed Shells
- One Pot Easy Taco Rotini Pasta
Easy Pasta Primavera
A cornucopia of fresh vegetables, freshly grated Parmesan Cheese and penne pasta combine to make this an easy nutritious weeknight meal for busy families.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: pasta
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 lb. asparagus trimmed and cut 1 1/2 inch segments
- 1 medium zucchini cut in half and 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 medium yellow squash cut in half and 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 1/4 cups sliced grape tomatoes (sliced lengthwise)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package instruction; drain well and toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers and asparagus to the skillet; cook for 2-3 minutes stirring several times. Add the zucchini and yellow squash: cook for 2-3 minutes stirring several times. Reduce heat to low and add tomatoes, minced garlic, onion powder and dried marjoram; cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese.
- Add the cooked penne pasta to the skillet. Sprinkle the top of the pasta with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese; stir to mix and coat. Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and fresh oregano. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. If desired top with more Parmesan Cheese.
Keywords: pasta primavera, primavera pasta, pasta primavera recipe, pasta with vegetables and Parmesan, penne pasta primavera, penne pasta with vegetables