This scrumptious moist Pumpkin Cake has a lightly sweetened thin layer of cream cheese and a luscious crumb topping. Pumpkin pie spice takes this cake over the top with the best that fall has to offer.
Fall is by far my favorite time of the year. I love the crisp cool nights and semi warm days. It is invigorating. I love football, bonfires, pumpkins, bright colored mums and Halloween. As a matter of fact I can’t think of anything that I don’t like about fall. This Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Filling is the perfect fall treat. The scrumptious moist pumpkin cake has a lightly sweetened thin layer of cream cheese and a super easy crumb topping. It stays moist for days and tastes like heaven with just the right blend of spice. Wait till you smell it baking? It will remind you of everything you love about fall.
How do you make Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Filling?
First you are going to make the crumb mixture so grab a medium bowl and combine butter, flour, brown sugar, rolled oats and cinnamon. Using a pastry knife cut in the butter until crumbly. Set this aside while you get the cake ready.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Now turn the mixer to low and add the eggs one at a time mixing just until incorporated scraping down the bowl and the beaters as needed. Now add the pumpkin puree and applesauce and mix just until incorporated on low. Add the the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture in three parts mixing just until incorporated on low.
In a separate bowl using a mixer beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix just until incorporated.
Now lets assemble the cake. Pour half the cake batter into a well greased and floured 9×13 inch baking dish. Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake batter. Now spread the remaining cake batter over the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the crumb mixture and bake for about 50 minutes or until set.
So if Fall is your thing and you love pumpkin put this Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Filling on your to try list and bake it this weekend. Life is short so don’t wait for a special occasion or that window of opportunity will have come and gone.
Helpful tips for making Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
- Grease and flour your baking dish well. I like to use Baker’s Joy which is a nonstick baking spray with flour.
- Always preheat your oven and load the cake in the center of the oven.
- For best results use real unsalted butter.
- Do not overwork the cream cheese mixture or it will get absorbed into your cake.
- Bake the cake until set. Test with a toothpick for doneness but please keep in mind that a little bit of cream cheese is going to end up on your toothpick and the cake may still be done.
- Refrigerate leftovers as the cake has cream cheese in it.
This post was originally published August 13, 2017 and was republished August 8, 2019 with new content.Print
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
Spiced pumpkin cake with a layer of lightly sweetened cheese and a cinnamon oat crumb topping.
- 6 tablespoons butter slightly softened
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup applesauce
Cream cheese filling
- 12 ounces cream cheese (1 1/2 box)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- In medium bowl combine 6 tablespoons butter, 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, rolled oats and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Using pastry knife cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment cream 1/2 cup butter with 1 1/2 cups sugar. Turn mixer to stir. Add 3 eggs; 1 at a time mixing after each just until blended. Add pumpkin puree and applesauce and mix just until incorporated. Add flour mixture (not crumb mixture made in step 1) in three parts mixing just until incorporated.
- In medium bowl with hand mixer beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar until smooth and creamy. Add 1 egg and vanilla and mix just until incorporated.
- Spread half of the pumpkin cake mixture in the pan. Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake mixture. Now add the rest of the cake mixture spreading carefully with a spatula. Some may bleed through. Do not overwork or it the cream cheese mixture will be absorbed by the pumpkin mixture.
- Sprinkle with the crumb topping and bake for 50 minutes or until set. Allow to cool 20 minutes before cutting.
Please note I have slightly modified the cream cheese portion of this recipe because I think it is even better with more cream cheese filling.
I changed the following!
8 ounces of cream cheese to 12 ounces of cream cheese,
1/4 cup sugar to 1/3 cup sugar,
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Keywords: pumpkin cake, pumpkin dessert, pumpkin crumb cake, pumpkin cake with cream cheese, pumpkin cake recipe, cake, crumb cake, pumpkin spice cake
Other cake recipes you will love!
- Lemon Pudding Poke Cake
- Easy Banana Cake Recipe
- Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sock It To Me Cake
- Oreo Cake