Fall is quickly approaching and like all industries bloggers have to stay ahead of the game. So it is not that unusual that I am now preparing soups, stews, roasts and all things pumpkin. Time passes so fast and if I don’t have my stuff together my blogging friends will leave me in their dust.
Fall is by far my favorite time of the year. I love the crisp cool nights and semi warm days. It is invigorating. I love football, bonfires, pumpkins, bright colored mums and Halloween. As a matter of fact I can’t think of anything that I don’t like about fall. Have you tried any of my other pumpkin recipes? Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes with white chocolate Pecan Sauce and Pumpkin Cobbler are just a few of my favorites!!
This Pumpkin Cream Cheese Crumb Cake is the perfect fall treat. The scrumptious moist pumpkin cake has a lightly sweetened thin layer of cream cheese and a luscious crumb topping. It stays moist for days and tastes like heaven with just the right amount of spice. Wait till you smell it baking? It will remind you of everything you love about fall.
This delectable Pumpkin Cream Cheese Crumb Cake is amazingly easy. If you are super busy prepare the crumb topping ahead of time and store in the fridge. It can be made up to 2 days in advance. The whole cake can be prepared several days in advance and it will be as moist and delicious the third day as it was the first day.
So if Fall is your thing and you love pumpkin put this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Crumb Cake on your list and bake it this weekend. Life is short so don’t wait for a special occasion or that window of opportunity will have come and gone.
- 6 tablespoons butter slightly softened
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 12 ounces cream cheese (1 1/2 box)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- In medium bowl combine 6 tablespoons butter, 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, rolled oats and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Using pastry knife cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment cream 1/2 cup butter with 1 1/2 cups sugar. Turn mixer to stir and add 3 eggs one at a time just until blended. Add pumpkin puree and applesauce and mix just until incorporated. Add flour mixture (not crumb mixture made in step 1) in three parts mixing just until incorporated.
- In medium bowl with hand mixer beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar until smooth and creamy. Add 1 egg and vanilla and mix just until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray. Spread half of the pumpkin cake mixture in the pan. Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake mixture. Now add the rest of the cake mixture spreading carefully with a spatula. Some may bleed through. Do not overwork or it the pumpkin cake will swallow the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle with the crumb topping and bake for 50 minutes. Allow to cool 20 minutes before cutting.
- Refrigerate leftovers!
Please note I have slightly modified the cream cheese portion of this recipe because I think it is even better with more cream cheese filling. I changed the following! 8 ounces of cream cheese to 12 ounces of cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar to 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Other Fall recipes you will love!