This delectable Lemon Pound Cake with fresh lemon juice and fresh lemon zest is in the oven in less than fifteen minutes. The two ingredient lemon glaze takes just a couple minutes to make and really takes this lemon loaf over the top. This easy pound cake is always a hit with friends and family and I love to take it to family reunions, potlucks and bake sales.
Calling all lemon lovers. This buttery lemon pound cake is a must bake for you. I just adore anything lemon. This pound cake, iced lemon cookies, lemon bars, and Easy Lemon Curd are just a few of my favorite lemon recipes.
How to make Lemon Pound Cake
Start by whisking the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Then using a hand mixer or stand mixer beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Then reduce the mixer to stir and add the eggs one at a time mixing just until barely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beater several times. Now add the lemon juice and lemon zest mixing just until slightly incorporated. Keeping the mixer on stir add the flour mixture alternating and the sour cream alternating between the two mixing just until combined.
Bake in a preheated oven for about 45-55 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 25-30 minutes. Carefully invert the cake onto a cooling rack. Whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together until smooth. Drizzle over the cake and let cool before slicing.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Use fresh squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest for that over the top lemon taste.
- Preheat the oven for 30 minutes prior to baking the cake.
- Do not overmix the pound cake. If there is a not a stir setting on your mixer than simply hand stir the ingredients together after creaming the butter.
- Use real sweet cream butter and put it on the counter about 1 – 1 1/2 hours before you start this recipe.
- Take the eggs and sour cream out of the fridge about 30-45 minutes prior to starting this recipe.
- If the cake is browning too fast than simply cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the top comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs on it.
How to freeze this Lemon Pound Cake
Once completely cooled freeze the cake whole by placing the loaf in a heavy duty one gallon freezer bag. Or placing individual slices in a heavy duty one quart freezer bag. Freeze for up to 4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight in the freezer bags. Move to the counter the next morning to keep them it from drying out the in the fridge.
Other dessert recipes you will love!
- Strawberry Cobbler
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars
- Apple Cake
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Zucchini Cake
- Blueberry Cobbler
Lemon Pound Cake
A quick and easy tasty Lemon Pound Cake made with fresh lemons and lemon zest and topped with a tangy two ingredient lemon glaze.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Lemon Pound Cake
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8×4 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Reduce the mixer speed to stir. Add the eggs one at a time mixing just until barely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beater several times. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest mixing just until slightly incorporated.
- Keeping the mixer on stir add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternating between the two.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 45-55 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 25-30 minutes. Carefully invert the cake onto a cooling rack.
- Whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together until smooth. Drizzle over the cake and let cool before slicing.
Keywords: how to make lemon pound cake, lemon bread, lemon glaze, lemon pound cake recipe, lemon loaf cake