This amazing Bacon Jam Recipe is the ultimate bacon lovers taste treat. It combines smoked bacon, onion, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar and a perfect blend of spices. The variety of ways that you can serve this is only limited by your imagination.
Calling all bacon lovers and you know who you are! This slow cooked and simmered bacon onion jam is pure heaven. The delectable possibilities with this jam are endless.
What is Bacon Jam?
Bacon Jam is a bacon based relish that is made by slow cooking bacon, onions, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar and spices. It is absolutely divine and a must try. You can store for a little over a week in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat it in the microwave for short intervals at a reduced power.
What to put it on
- On top of hash browns
- Spooned over an omelette or scrambled eggs
- Stuffed in a grilled cheese
- Over waffles and pancakes
- On a club sandwich
- Over the top of a grilled burger
- Spooned over mashed or baked potatoes
- On a cracker with a piece of Gruyere or Gouda cheese
- Tossed in your favorite spinach salad
- Spooned over grilled chicken
- Stuffed in pastry puff with Brie cheese
What is the best bacon to use?
I like to use hickory smoked uncured bacon. My personal favorite is Coleman Natural which I purchase from Costco. It is delicious bacon and cooks up really well every time. It is more lean than other bacon I have tried. However any hickory smoked (preferably uncured bacon) will work for this recipe.
What is uncured bacon?
It is bacon that is preservative free. It contains no nitrates or nitrites which are known to cause cancer in animals and may cause cancer in humans. Without the preservatives it must be refrigerated below forty degrees and it does have a shorter use or freeze by date than bacon with preservatives.
How to make Bacon Jam
First chop the bacon real fine and cook in a heavy skillet or dutch oven until crispy. Tilt the pan to one side and carefully ladle off all but two to three tablespoons off excess grease. Add onions and salt. Cook over low heat until browned and slightly caramelized. Add the garlic and cook for additional one minute. Again tilt the pan and remove all but about a half tablespoon of excess grease.
Then stir in the brown sugar, cider vinegar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, and prepared strong black coffee. Let the mixture cook down until slightly thickened and browned. This should take about twenty to twenty-five minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in just a touch of balsamic vinegar. Just enough to give it little tang and pizzazz. Serve warm over crusty French bread or crostini. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container or mason jar. It will keep about seven to ten days stored in the back of the refrigerator.
This scrumptious Bacon Jam Recipe is a must try for all you bacon lovers. Put the ingredients on your shopping list and make yourself a batch for this weekend, We enjoyed ours over hash brown potatoes and then on Sunday we put a little bit in our sandwich wraps! Oh my heavens!
Other bacon recipes you will love!
Bacon Jam Recipe
This amazing Bacon Jam Recipe is the ultimate bacon lovers taste treat. It combines smoked bacon, onion, brown sugar, vinegar and a perfect blend of spices.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 70
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: jam
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound hickory smoked bacon finely chopped
- 2 medium onions finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh brewed dark coffee
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- In heavy skillet or dutch oven over medium cook bacon until crispy. Tilt the pan to one side and carefully ladle off all but 2 tablespoons off excess grease. Add onions and salt; cook over low heat until browned and slightly caramelized. Add the garlic and cook for additional 1 minute. Tilt pan and remove all but 1/2 tablespoon of excess grease.
- Stir in brown sugar, cider vinegar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, and prepared strong black coffee. Let the mixture cook down until slightly thickened and browned; 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in balsamic vinegar. Serve warm over crusty french bread or crostini. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container or mason jar.
Keywords: how to make bacon jam, what is bacon jam, what to serve with bacon jam