I am absolutely convinced that everything tastes better wrapped in bacon. The crisp flesh of a water chestnut tastes particularly good wrapped in crisp bacon and basted with my delicious spicy Asian sauce.
These would be perfect for your up coming Halloween, holiday or dinner party. The bacon is a cinch to wrap around them and secure with a toothpick. The sauce is easy to put together and can be made ahead of time.
You are going to love them and wish that you had more! Seriously! Don’t be mad!
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- 2 cans water chestnuts (8 ounce)
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Mirin
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut bacon in 1/2 and wrap one piece around each water chestnut securing with a toothpick. Arrange on cookie sheet.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium low heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add brandy and reduce by 1/2. Add soy sauce, mirin, sriracha sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, ketchup and water. Simmer down until slightly thickened; approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Bake wrapped water chestnuts for 45-50 minutes basting with sauce every 10 minutes.