Easy and quick this delicious Chicken Barley Soup combines, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, green beans and chicken in a lightly seasoned broth. Rotisserie chicken helps this soup come together in short order.
Fall is right around the corner and soon the nights will be cooling off. What better way to celebrate fall than to make a scrumptious pot of yummy soup. Chicken Barley Soup is a family favorite and it comes together in a little over 45 minutes, making it perfect for those busy nights filled with laundry, homework and chores. This soup recipe takes full advantage of one of those delectable already cooked to perfection rotisserie chickens. I usually purchase one from Costco, but they are also available at Sams, Walmart and most local grocery stores.
How do You Make Chicken Barley Soup?
Start by heating a little olive oil in a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and green beans cooking for about 3-4 minutes. In the last 30-60 seconds of cooking add the garlic and poultry seasoning stirring continuously. Now add the chicken broth and the bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
Once the pot comes to a low simmer add the barley, cover and cook for 35-40. Uncover and add the rotisserie chicken cooking for an additional 5 minutes or until the barley is tender yet chewy and the chicken is warm. Don’t forget to remove the bay leaves.
Enjoyed this chicken barley soup? Soothe your soul with more delicious chicken soup recipes:
Helpful Tips on Making Beef Barley Soup
- Chop your vegetables really small so they cook all the way through and so you get a variety of ingredients in every spoonful.
- Use low sodium chicken broth. There is plenty of salt for flavor in the low sodium version and you can always add more to taste.
- Rotisserie chickens are available in club warehouses and most grocery stores. You can also poach a portion of a chicken or some chicken breasts in place of the rotisserie chicken.
- Any kind of green bean will work including Haricots Verts. Just be sure to trim them and cut them in 3/4 inch segments.
- I really prefer using the medium barley (not the quick-cooking barley) is this recipe. However, in a quick pinch, it could be substituted.
This delectable Chicken Barley Soup is super easy, quick and totally family-friendly. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and make your family an awesome hearty meal.
Other soup recipes you will love!
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Best Ever Italian Wedding Soup
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- Beef Barley Soup
- Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe
Chicken Barley Soup
Rotisserie chicken, carrots, celery, onions, green beans and barley are combined in a slow-simmered broth for an easy delicious hearty soup. Perfect for a quick dinner on a cold winter night!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 bowls 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped (see notes)
- 2 large stalks of celery chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 2 cups green beans trimmed and cut in 3/4 inch segments
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley (not the quick cooking)
- 2 1/2 cup cooked chicken cut in small bite size pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in heavy stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onions and green beans; cook for 3-4 minutes stirring several times. In the last 30 seconds of cooking add the garlic and poultry seasoning; stir continuously. Add chicken broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the barley, cover and cook for 35-40. Uncover the pot and add the rotisserie chicken cooking for an additional 5 minutes or until the barley is tender and chicken is warm. Remove the bay leaves. Add salt and pepper to taste.
You do not have to peel your carrots, however, peeling them does make the soup look tastier.
Keywords: chicken vegetable barley soup, chicken vegetable soup with barley, how to make chicken barley soup