This wonderful easy fantastic Chicken Fajita Casserole is all it’s cracked up to be and more. It combines delectable chicken breasts seasoned perfectly with fajita spices, red & orange bell pepper, brown rice and salsa style tomatoes. It is topped with plenty of cheddar jack and a dollop of sour cream and salsa.
With the exception of the rice it can all be prepared in a large ovenproof skillet. If you wanted to jazz it up even more you could add avocados, black olives or sliced grape tomatoes. I used brown rice in this casserole just because it has a few more beneficial nutrients but you can use what you dig.
This delectable Chicken Fajita Rice casserole is easy to prepare and only needs enough time in the oven to properly melt the cheese which is about twenty five minutes. Feel free to serve with soft tortilla skins or crispy tortilla chips but I personally like it straight out of the skillet. That way the flavors can really burst without being masked by more carbs.
Chicken Fajita Rice Casserole
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast cut in bite size pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 orange pepper chopped
- 2 cups COOKED rice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of salsa style tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine chicken, 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, lime juice and honey in large ziploc bag. Place in refrigerator and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large oven proof skillet over medium high heat and cook chicken until just starting to brown; approximately 4-5 minutes. Add onions and peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in cooked rice, salsa style tomatoes and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve with salsa and sour cream.