This fun and easy Frito Pie combines taco seasoned ground beef, beans and salsa style tomatoes all topped with cheddar, Monterey Jack and crispy crunchy Fritos. For even more deliciousness add your favorite toppings like tomatoes, black olives, green onion, avocado or sour cream.
If your family is anything like mine than this time of year is very busy and you can’t keep up with the demands of the day and the holidays. What you need is some family friendly recipes that are quick to make, easy on the pocketbook and yet delicious and wholesome for your loved ones. This Frito Pie is all that and more. To suit your own families taste top with any or all of your classic favorites.
How do you make Frito Pie?
Start by browning some ground beef. When the ground beef is almost completely browned add the onion and cook for several minutes. Add the minced garlic in the last minute of browning. Now carefully drain any excess grease. Then add the taco seasoning and water. Simmer for about about ten minutes. Then add the beans and salsa style tomatoes. Spoon into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Now top with a good helping of Fritos, cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese. Bake for about thirty minutes or until the cheese is well melted and the casserole is hot. Top with all of your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
Helpful tips for making Frito Pie
- Use a good taco seasoning that has plenty of flavor. If I have time I make my own. However Spice Islands brand is my second choice and I purchase it from Costco.
- Drain the excess oil from your ground beef and onions.
- Canned salsa style tomatoes can be found in the canned vegetable aisle of your local grocery store right next to the other canned tomatoes. Walmart carries both their brand and Muir Glen. Both are equally delicious.
- Spray your casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray for ease in cleanup.
- This recipe has plenty of wiggle room in it. If you want more cheese or a different kind that melts well than substitute it. If you don’t like kidney beans but love black beans than go with what you love. Watching your fat and want to use ground turkey instead than go for it.
Other family friendly casseroles you will love!
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Roasted Garlic Three Cheese Manicotti
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 7 Layer Casserole
A Frito taco pie recipe full of seasoned ground beef, sweet onions and beans. This family friendly casserole is topped with two tasty cheeses and baked to perfection.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stovetop and bake
- Cuisine: southern
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup salsa style tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounce) kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4–5 cups Frito chips (7–8 ounces)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes (optional)
- 2/3 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 2 green onions chopped (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown ground beef. When ground beef is almost browned add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute; stirring constantly. Drain excess grease. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. Add salsa style tomatoes and kidney beans; stir to combine. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Top with Frito chips, shredded cheddar and shredded Monterey Jack.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is fully melted. Top with tomatoes, black olives, green onions and sour cream if desired.
Keywords: baked Frito pie, best Frito pie recipe, casserole, dinner casserole, easy Frito pie, easy Frito pie recipe, Frito pie, Frito pie casserole, Frito pie recipe, Frito taco casserole, Frito taco pie, how to make Frito pie