This fun and easy Frito Pie combines taco-seasoned ground beef, beans, and tomatoes, all topped with cheddar, Monterey Jack, and crispy, crunchy Fritos. For even more deliciousness, add your favorite toppings like diced tomatoes, green onion, guacamole, chopped cilantro, or sour cream.
This Frito Pie Recipe is the perfect anytime dinner!
If your family is anything like mine, then this time of year is very busy, and you can’t keep up with the demands of the day. What you need is some family-friendly recipes that are quick to make, easy on the pocketbook, and yet delicious and wholesome for your loved ones. This Frito Pie is all that and more. To suit your own family’s taste, top with any or all of your classic favorites. It is very similar in taste to my walking taco recipe.
How do you make Frito Pie?
Start by browning some ground beef. When the ground beef is about halfway browned, add the onion and cook until the beef is browned and the onions are soft. Reduce the heat and add the minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute while stirring. Now carefully drain any excess grease from the meat mixture. Then add the taco seasoning, chili powder, water, Rotel Tomatoes, and kidney beans. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Layer about 2 cups of Fritos in the bottom of a greased baking dish. Spoon half the ground beef mixture on top. Sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese.
Now add 2 more cups of Fritos, followed by the remaining meat and bean mixture. Top with remaining Fritos and cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is well melted and the casserole is hot. Top with all of your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
- Use a good taco seasoning that has plenty of flavors, from chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. If I have time, I make my own. However, Spice Islands brand is my second choice, and I purchase it from Costco.
- Drain the excess oil from your ground beef and onions.
- Spray your casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray for ease of cleanup.
- If you are running short on time, use canned or leftover chili and skip to step 3.
- This recipe has plenty of wiggle room in it. If you want more cheese or a different kind that also melts well, then substitute it. If you don’t like kidney beans but love black beans, ranch-style beans, or pinto beans, then go with what you love. If you are watching your fat and want to use ground turkey or ground chicken instead, then go for it.
- Top the casserole with all your favorite chili and taco toppings like avocado, Pico de Gallo, salsa, shredded lettuce, guacamole, black olives, green onions, diced bell peppers, tomatoes, jalapeno, sour cream, or cilantro.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave at reduced power. Keep in mind that the chips will no longer be crunchy.
- Freeze individual portions in sturdy freezer containers for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat in the microwave at reduced power.
A Frito Pie recipe loaded with seasoned ground beef, sweet onions, tomatoes, beans, and Fritos all topped with a generous helping of Cheddar Cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese and baked to golden perfection.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stovetop and bake
- Cuisine: southern
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can mild Rotel diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 4–5 cups Fritos corn chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 green onions sliced
- Sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef. When ground beef is about halfway browned, add the onion and cook until the beef is browned and the onion is soft. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute; stirring constantly. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, chili powder, water, Rotel Tomatoes, and kidney beans. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Layer about 2 cups of Fritos in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Spoon half the ground beef mixture on top. Sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Sprinkle with 2 more cups of Fritos, followed by the remaining meat and bean mixture. Top with the remaining Fritos and cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is well melted and the casserole is hot. Top with all of your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
Keywords: how to make frito pie, frito chili pie, frito pie ingredients, frito pie recipe
On the hunt for more delicious recipes? Follow Small Town Woman on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.https://www.smalltownwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Beth-1.pdf
Laura Side Street
Ooh this looks so yummy and I know this is something my kids would eat! Also doesn’t look yo hard to make which is always good, deffo going to have a go making it
Oh wow, this is such a fun twist on tacos! The kids and I loved it. Thank you for the recipe!
My family absolutely loves this Frito Pie recipe! We actually ask for it almost every week, it’s just that good. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
You are most welcome, JM!
This looks like an awesome recipe! I’m sure my husband will enjoy this meal.
My kids love chilli with nachos, so this seemed like the perfect dinner recipe to try and out and we were not disappointed. This is very tasty!
Thanks! So glad that you and the kids liked it!
This one looks like a winner. I am always open to trying new dishes and I must add this to the list.
I’ve never had one of these before but it looks absolutely delicious! What fun family dish to try…I think this will be a hit!
That sounds like a fun dish. It’s like nachos with chilli con carne. It would make a great family meal.
Eileen M Loya
One more recipe to add to our list of comfort foods! This Frito pie looks so good I can’t wait to make it for the family. I will use white kidney beans for this recipe and my favorite Taco seasoning. My family loves spicy food, so I guess I’d use chili flakes instead of chili powder.
This looks crazy delicious and although it is early in the morning…. I a wishing I had this to snack on now! Looks crazy delicious and I am pinning it next to make for the whole gang as they will love it too!
I have never heard of Frito Pie before but does sound something my whole family would love
This Frito Pie was delicious and easy to prepare. This is going to become a regular at my house.
Frito Pies are comfort food perfection. Things like pico de gallo, queso, and pickled jalapeños would go great here.
I agree 100% I love pickled jalapenos!
Frito pie is a taste of home for me. My mom used to make it for us. Now I can make it too even if I’m far away from home. Thank you
Looks beyond delicious! That is definitely a must make!
This is such a fun recipe! I love how quick and easy it is!! Thanks for sharing!
The pleasure is all mine, Sandra!
This was so easy to make and it tasted fantastic! My whole family loved it!
I was really feeling like something like this when I stumbled upon your recipe! Thank you so much! It was delicious!
The pleasure is all mine, Allyson!
This looks soooo sooo good!!! I can’t wait to make it. Your recipe is very easy to follow. Thank you so much.
REALLY good! I didn’t have kidney beans, substituted a three bean mix…this is such a flavorful dish! It is now in my rotation. Thank you!
Packed with so much taste & flavor, my family loves this!!
This looks so delicious and yummy! My husband and daughter are going to love this recipe! Can’t wait to make it!
Fritos are my favorite chip in recipes! They give a nice crunch! This dish is full of flavor & easy to make!
Had anyone tried putting the Fritos in first and then topping them with all the other ingredients?
Any way that I can turn chips into a meal sounds good to me! Perfection!
You are funny! Thanks Allison!
This is so delicious! Love the chips in this recipe! Gives it a nice salty crunch to it!
This is always a hit at my house! My husband requests it almost weekly and my kiddos love it and ask for seconds every single time I make it. Thank you!
All the flavors that I love! A must try recipe for sure!
This pie is so easy to make and everyone loves it in my family! The best!
Thanks, Catalina! So glad that everyone liked it!
Ditching tacos for dinner tonight and making this instead! Loving all the flavors and looks super easy to prep too1
My family devoured it!
YUM!! This Frito Pie sounds fantastic!!
This Frito Pie is seriously making me hungry!
My husband loved it! Thanks so much for the tips!
This Frito Pie is one of my family’s favorite dinner recipe! It gets requested at least once a week! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This is so delicious and a great family meal.
I love how delicious this pie looks. It can easily make you hungry even if you are not. And I would definitely add some tomatoes with sour cream – yum!
This Frito pie will make the perfect weeknight meal for our busy family. This is sure to be on a monthly rotation.
Love all the flavors in this dish! Perfect football food; yum!
All these flavors in one dish! Love it so much!
This easy Frito looks incredibly delicious!