This fun and easy Frito Pie combines taco-seasoned ground beef, beans, and tomatoes, all topped with cheddar, Monterey Jack, and crispy, crunchy Fritos. For even more deliciousness, add your favorite toppings like diced tomatoes, green onion, guacamole, chopped cilantro, or sour cream.
This Frito Pie Recipe is the perfect anytime dinner!
If your family is anything like mine, then this time of year is very busy, and you can’t keep up with the demands of the day. What you need is some family-friendly recipes that are quick to make, easy on the pocketbook, and yet delicious and wholesome for your loved ones. This Frito Pie is all that and more. To suit your own family’s taste, top with any or all of your classic favorites. It is very similar in taste to my walking taco recipe.
How do you make Frito Pie?
Start by browning some ground beef. When the ground beef is about halfway browned, add the onion and cook until the beef is browned and the onions are soft. Reduce the heat and add the minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute while stirring. Now carefully drain any excess grease from the meat mixture. Then add the taco seasoning, chili powder, water, Rotel Tomatoes, and kidney beans. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Layer about 2 cups of Fritos in the bottom of a greased baking dish. Spoon half the ground beef mixture on top. Sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese.
Now add 2 more cups of Fritos, followed by the remaining meat and bean mixture. Top with remaining Fritos and cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is well melted and the casserole is hot. Top with all of your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
- Use a good taco seasoning that has plenty of flavors, from chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. If I have time, I make my own. However, Spice Islands brand is my second choice, and I purchase it from Costco.
- Drain the excess oil from your ground beef and onions.
- Spray your casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray for ease of cleanup.
- If you are running short on time, use canned or leftover chili and skip to step 3.
- This recipe has plenty of wiggle room in it. If you want more cheese or a different kind that also melts well, then substitute it. If you don’t like kidney beans but love black beans, ranch-style beans, or pinto beans, then go with what you love. If you are watching your fat and want to use ground turkey or ground chicken instead, then go for it.
- Top the casserole with all your favorite chili and taco toppings like avocado, Pico de Gallo, salsa, shredded lettuce, guacamole, black olives, green onions, diced bell peppers, tomatoes, jalapeno, sour cream, or cilantro.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave at reduced power. Keep in mind that the chips will no longer be crunchy.
- Freeze individual portions in sturdy freezer containers for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat in the microwave at reduced power.
A Frito Pie recipe loaded with seasoned ground beef, sweet onions, tomatoes, beans, and Fritos all topped with a generous helping of Cheddar Cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese and baked to golden perfection.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stovetop and bake
- Cuisine: southern
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can mild Rotel diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 4–5 cups Fritos corn chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 green onions sliced
- Sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef. When ground beef is about halfway browned, add the onion and cook until the beef is browned and the onion is soft. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute; stirring constantly. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, chili powder, water, Rotel Tomatoes, and kidney beans. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Layer about 2 cups of Fritos in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Spoon half the ground beef mixture on top. Sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Sprinkle with 2 more cups of Fritos, followed by the remaining meat and bean mixture. Top with the remaining Fritos and cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is well melted and the casserole is hot. Top with all of your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
Keywords: how to make frito pie, frito chili pie, frito pie ingredients, frito pie recipe