This Apple Crisp Recipe is a simple dessert made with tart apples mixed with sugar and cinnamon and topped with a crunchy sweet oatmeal pecan mixture. The result is pure heaven and for even an more delectable treat top with a scoop of natural vanilla ice cream.
Fall is here and with it comes fresh crisp delicious apples. What better way to celebrate natures bounty than by making a scrumptious Apple Crisp. There are just a couple of key points in getting an apple crisp just perfect. One is making sure to pick the correct baking apples and the other is getting the topping just right with a little bit of crunchy crispiness to it so it holds up well under those juicy apples and melting vanilla ice cream.
What are the best apples for Apple Crisp?
When it comes to baking Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble go with crisp tart apples like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp. Other good choices are Braeburn or Pink Lady (also known as Cripps Pink). I usually go with a majority of Granny Smith and throw in a few other crisp varieties for more texture and flavor. When you cut your apples slice them at least a quarter inch thick to help keep a little bit of crispness through the baking process. If you really like them crispy cut them into cubes.
How do you make Apple Crisp Recipe?
I like to make the topping first and let it set while I peel the apples and slice them. So grab a medium to large bowl and combine rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, chopped pecans and shredded butter. Using a pastry cutter or a fork work it all together cutting the butter in as much as possible.
Then peel, core and slice your apples. Remember if you want them with a little more crunch then slice them thicker or or into cubes. As you slice your apples add them to a large bowl. Add the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir to combine. Place the mixture in a large casserole dish that has been spray with nonstick baking spray.
Spread the oatmeal/pecan topping over the apples as evenly as possible. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly on the sides and lightly browned.
Helpful tips for making Apple Crisp Recipe
- Use crisp tart apples like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Braeburn or Pink Lady. I like to use a combination of these with the majority of them being Granny Smith.
- You can substitute walnuts for the pecans.
- Butter should be frozen to shred easily with a box grater. If you do not have frozen butter simply cut the butter into small cubes.
- Use old fashioned oats not quick oats. Quick oats are partially cooked, dried and rolled thinner therefore they do not stay as crispy or maintain their shape as well.
- Slice your apples about 1/4 inch thick or thicker if you like a little more crispiness.
- Lightly spray the baking dish with non stick baking spray as it will keep the crumble from sticking to the edges.
- Apple Crisp is delicious warm or cold. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- For an extra special treat serve a la mode. My favorite is all natural vanilla ice cream.
Other apple desserts you will love!
- Apple Bread with Cinnamon Pecan Crunch
- Apple Fritter
- Apple Cobbler Recipe
- Scrumptious Amazingly Easy Apple Turnovers
- Cream Cheese Apple Dip
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
A scrumptious easy dessert made with fresh sliced apples cooked with sugar and cinnamon. The dish is topped with a buttery oat pecan mixture that is baked to golden brown perfection.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: southern
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter shredded (see notes)
- 8 large crisp tart apples like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- In large bowl combine rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, chopped pecans and shredded butter. Using a pastry cutter or a fork work it all together cutting the butter in.
- In a large bowl combine apples, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir to coat. Place the mixture in the prepared casserole dish.
- Spread the oatmeal/pecan topping over the apples as evenly as possible. Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly on the sides and lightly browned.
- Refrigerate leftovers
Butter should be frozen to shred using a box grater. If you do not have any frozen butter simply cut it into small cubes.
Keywords: apple crisp, apple crisp recipe, apple crisp topping, apple crisp with oatmeal, apple dessert, apple recipe, best apple crisp recipe, easy apple crisp, easy apple crisp recipe