This tasty Instant Pot Spaghetti combines Italian Sausage, onions, garlic, a few herbs and spices, spaghetti noodles, and marinara sauce into a one pot delicious meal that is ready in less than twenty minutes. We just love how delicious this tastes and how incredibly easy it really is.
I love to serve this with one of my many salads. I usually decide which one based on time and cravings. Italian Chopped Salad with Fresh Italian Dressing, Loaded Wedge Salad, or a simple garden salad.
How to make Instant Pot Spaghetti
Start by adding a little olive oil to the instant pot. Then turn the pot to sauté and add the Italian Sausage. Use a spoon to break it up and brown it. About halfway through the browning process add the onion and continue cooking until the sausage is browned and the onions are soft. Then turn the instant pot off and add the garlic, marjoram, thyme, and crushed red pepper. Continue cooking with the residual heat while stirring constantly.
Then pour in half of the water followed by the spaghetti. Next pour in the rest of the water and the marinara making sure the pasta is down in the liquid. Now cook on high pressure for about 7 minutes. When it is done cooking use the quick release button. Then open the instant pot and using a wooden or plastic spoon stir the pasta to combine.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Turn off the instant pot before adding the garlic, marjoram, thyme, and red pepper. Stir continuously and let the residual heat cook the garlic and herbs.
- Add half the water after cooking the sausage, onions, garlic, and herbs. Scrape the bottom of the pot well to remove any bits from the bottom of the pot. This will help avoid any BURN warning from the instant pot.
- Break the spaghetti in half so it will fit in the pot and crisscross the spaghetti as you put it in the pot. See the picture above. This will keep it from sticking together.
- Do not stir the pasta before cooking. This will make it sticky and gummy so avoid doing that.
- Make sure the cooking time is complete before pressing the quick release. On the flip side let the pressure off after it is done cooking by pushing the quick release button.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months in a sturdy container. For best results cook the pasta al dente so it does not become overcooked when reheated.
Flavor variations and add ins
Cheese – add Parmesan, Romano, Fontina, Asiago, or Mozzarella. Sprinkle on after cooking. If more of a melt is desired sprinkle on while the pot is on warm. Replace the lid and let the cheese melt.
Add a little heat – add a little cayenne pepper, freshly ground black pepper, or a little more crushed red pepper.
Add a little fat – add a couple tablespoons butter or a small scoop of ricotta cheese to give it a silky rich texture and to balance out the acidity from the tomatoes.
Other pasta recipes you will love
Instant Pot Spaghetti
A delicious Instant Pot Spaghetti recipe with Italian Sausage made in less than twenty minutes with simple ingredients many of which you may already have on hand.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal pasta
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage
- ½ sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ½ cups water
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 32 ounces marinara sauce
- Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Add the olive oil to the instant pot. Turn the pot to sauté and add the Italian Sausage. Brown the sausage breaking it up as you go. Halfway through the browning process add the onion and continue cooking until the sausage is browned and the onions are soft.
- Turn the instant pot off and add the garlic, marjoram, thyme, and crushed red pepper. Continue cooking with the residual heat while stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Pour in 1 1/4 cups water. Break the spaghetti in half and place in the pot crisscrossing the pasta as seen in the picture. Pour in 1 1/4 cups water and the marinara sauce making sure the pasta is down in the liquid.
- Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. When it is done use the quick release and open the instant pot. Stir the pasta to combine. For best results serve promptly.
Keywords: instapot spaghetti, how to make instant pot spaghetti, how to cook spaghetti in instant pot