These delectable six ingredient Mashed Sweet Potatoes are so incredibly creamy with just a touch of sweetness. Mashed sweet potatoes are one of our favorites sides especially in the fall and winter months. I love to serve this side with Ham Steak with Honey Mustard Glaze and Green Bean Bundles with Bacon.
When I cook with sweet potatoes I am always reminded of the famous line from Toy Story 3 “Sweet potato! Who do you think you’re talking to.” You got to love sweet potatoes and now that it is fall you have to love them even more. They are just so smooth, sweet and tasty. One of our favorites ways to enjoy sweet potatoes is simply baked and topped with some good salsa. These tasty taters are just so darn versatile. Have you tried any of my other sweet potato recipes? Sweet Potato Hash, Sweet Potato Pie, Sweet Potato Casserole, and this recipe are just a few of our favorites!
How to make Mashed Sweet potatoes
Start by peeling and cutting the potatoes in about 2 inch chunks. Then boil the potatoes in a large pot of lightly salted water. Boil for about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Then remove them from the heat and drain very well. Place them in a food processor with the butter, cream and maple syrup. Pulse until smooth and creamy. If a less creamy more textured mash is prefered use an old fashioned hand masher.
Recipe notes and tips
- If preferred bake the sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for about 1 hour. Let them cool a bit and then peel the skins off easily with your hands and proceed with adding the butter, cream and maple syrup.
- A food processor is not absolutely necessary if you don’t mind a few lumps. Sweet potatoes are more fibrous than white potatoes so in order to get a super creamy texture you need to run them through a food processor.
- If available use real maple syrup as it complements the mash perfectly. 2 tablespoons of brown sugar can be substituted for the syrup.
- Whole or even 2% milk can be substituted for the heavy cream but the mash will be a little less creamy.
- Season with plenty of salt, pepper and a little cinnamon if desired.
What to top Mashed Sweet Potatoes with:
- chopped pecans
- sprinkle of paprika
- crisp cooked chopped bacon
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- fresh snipped rosemary, thyme or parsley
- sprinkle of crushed red pepper
- drizzle of maple syrup
- butter pats
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
A delicious and simple recipe for super creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes with a hint of sweetness.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: side
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut in 2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup butter cut in 1 tablespoon segments (salted or unsalted)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of lightly salted water for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain very well.
- Place them in a food processor with the butter, cream and maple syrup. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: how to make mashed sweet potatoes, how to mash sweet potatoes, easy mashed sweet potatoes