This hearty Sweet Potato hash has both sweet potatoes and gold potatoes, along with onions, sweet bell peppers, and ground pork sausage. For a complete meal fit for a king use an ovenproof skillet and add four eggs. Throw in a Fruit Salad and Easy Tequila Sunrise for a special occassion brunch like Mother’s Day or Easter Sunday.
Breakfast at our house has always been special. We are huge breakfast lovers. But by far our favorite breakfasts involve eggs. Are you a big egg fan? If so be sure to add the eggs at the end of the recipe and pop the skillet back in the oven. You might also enjoy Fried Egg Sandwich, Egg Foo Young, Breakfast Enchiladas and Croque Madame. They are just a few of our favorite egg recipes.
How to make Sweet Potato Hash
Start by peeling and cubing the potatoes. Then place them in a zipper seal bag with a little bit of oil and fresh ground black pepper. Now toss to coat. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Next add the potatoes and cook while stirring several times.
Meanwhile in a seperate skillet brown the ground pork sausage. When the pork sausage is almost browned add the the onion and cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the peppers and cook for a couple more minutes. Finally add the garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. Now add the sausage mixture to the potatoes and stir to warm everything up.
If preparing with eggs make four wells in the hash. Then add one cracked egg per well. Place the skillet in a preheated oven and bake until the eggs are set. Be very careful removing the skillet and always place a pot holder on the handle even after removing from the oven. Finally top with fresh parsley and season generously with salt and pepper.
Recipe notes and tips
- You can make the recipe with all Yukon Gold or all Sweet Potatoes. You don’t have to peel them but they do look prettier if you do.
- Any colored bell peppers will work but I like the sweet addition of red and orange.
- Substitute any ground pork sausage that you like. I use Bob Evans naturally but even Italian sausage is delicious with this and blends well with the potatoes and peppers.
- The eggs are a nutritious addition of protein. Cook them to your liking. If the whites have not cooked enough but the yellows seem to be set simply remove from the oven and cover with foil for 5-10 minutes.
- Garlic burns easily and turns bitter if burned so add it in the final step of the sausage pepper mixture.
- This recipe is best cooked in two skillets so the potatoes stay crisp and the sausage/pepper mixture does not overcook.
- This dish is so beautiful that is perfect for overnight guests and small quaint brunches.
Recipe variations for Sweet Potato Hash
- Jalapeno and Bacon – Add minced jalapeno to the skillet as the same time as the minced garlic. Replace the ground pork sausage with 1/2 pound of chopped raw bacon.
- Smoked Sausage and cheddar – Replace ground pork sausage with chunked smoked sausage (like Kielbasa). After adding the eggs sprinkle the dish with 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar before placing in the oven to cook the eggs.
- Italian Sausage and Mozzarella – Replace ground pork sausage with ground Italian Sausage. After adding the eggs sprinkle the dish with 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella before placing in the oven to cook the eggs.
This dish is dependable, delicious and oh so beautiful. I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Enjoy my food loving friends!Print
Sweet Potato Hash
Perfect for any time of the day this tasty Sweet Potato Hash is loaded with wholesome and hearty ingredients like ground pork sausage, sweet bell peppers and onions. For a complete protein packed meal add the eggs and bake.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast/brunch
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into bite size pieces
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cubed into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place potatoes, oil, and pepper in a seal bag; toss to coat. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook while stirring every few minutes.
- Meanwhile in a seperate skillet brown the ground pork sausage. When the pork is almost browned add the the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring continuosly. Now add the sausage mixture to the pan with the potatoes.
- Make four wells in the potato hash in the four corners. Add one cracked egg per well. Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake until the eggs are set; 10-15 minutes. Top with fresh parsley and season generously with salt and pepper.
Be very careful removing the skillet and always place a pot holder on the handle even after removing from the oven to remind you that the handle is very hot.
Keywords: sweet potato breakfast hash, how to make sweet potato hash, sweet potato hash with eggs