Chicken a la King is a delicious combination of chicken, mushrooms, onions, peas, green peppers and pimentos in a rich creamy sauce. Serve it over rice, noodles, toast or pastry puff shells. This delectable recipe comes together quickly using baked rotisserie chicken.
Chicken a la king is a super easy heart warming satisfying meal. It is quick to come together making it a perfect weeknight meal. This recipe calls for already baked rotisserie chicken. You can pick one up any club warehouse and most grocery stores. Leftovers warm up easily right on the stove top.
How do you make Chicken a la King?
Melt several tablespoons of butter over medium high heat in a heavy stockpot or dutch oven. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Then add the onion and green pepper and cook for a couple of minutes or until they start to soften. Turn the heat to medium and sprinkle in the flour while continuing to stir. Blend in the flour gently stirring for one to two minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken broth while stirring to combine. Mix in the milk, salt, pepper, onion powder, and ground mustard. Simmer gently for about ten minutes.
Stir in the peas, pimentos, chicken and cream. Continue simmering until everything is hot. If too thick add one quarter cup of chicken broth at a time to reach desired thickness. Serve over rice, noodles, toast, biscuits or pastry puff shells.
What is the best chicken to use for Chicken a la King?
My personal favorite is baked rotisserie chicken which is available almost anywhere these days. You can pick them up at club warehouses, grocery stores, and almost every Walmart. However you can use any baked, poached or roasted chicken. In addition to that you can also use cooked skinless thigh and wing meat. This recipe is made with rotisserie chicken because it is delicious and convenient.
Can you freeze Chicken a la King?
Chicken a la King is best fresh out of the pot but I know that sometimes there is just too much to eat. Once the dish is fully cooled pack in freezer bags removing as much air as possible. Freeze for up to one month.
Helpful hints on making Chicken a la King.
- Take the time to brown the mushrooms. They taste better that way and the dish is more visually appealing.
- Don’t get too hung up in the blending of the flour with the mushrooms, onions and peppers. It will all work out when you add the broth and milk.
- Drain the pimentos well because you don’t want the juice that they are packed in flavoring or coloring your dish.
- Frozen peas are best in this dish. They retain their color, shape and flavor during the simmering process much better than canned or fresh.
- For a lower fat version cut the butter and cream in half. It will still be delicious just not as rich.
This truly delectable Chicken a la King is the ultimate in comfort food and a family favorite. So if you love delicious easy chicken recipes all made in the same pot than you must give this one a whirl.
Other chicken recipes you will love!
This post was originally published August 1, 2015 and was republished February 14, 2019 with new content.
Chicken A La King
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: main meal
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 3–4 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (8 ounce) pimentos well drained.
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a heavy stockpot or dutch oven. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Add green pepper and onion; cook for 2-3 minutes or until starting to soften. Turn the heat to medium and sprinkle in the flour while continuing to stir. Continue to stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken broth while stirring to combine. Mix in the milk, salt, pepper, onion powder, and ground mustard. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, cream, peas and pimentos. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over rice, noodles, toast, biscuits or pastry puff shells.
If too thick add one quarter cup of chicken broth at a time to reach desired thickness.
Keywords: creamy chicken dish, chicken dish, chicken, a la king