These scrumptious Shrimp Po Boy sandwiches are filled with crispy Louisiana style fried shrimp and topped with an amazing sassy Cajun Remoulade Sauce. It is flavor packed and it hits the spot just right. You are going to love it and wonder why in the world you have been deprived of this tasty treat for so long.
My daughter and I are huge shrimp fans. We just can not get enough of these buttery tender crustaceans. Are you a shrimp fan? How do you like them cooked? We love them anyway we can get them. Have you tried any of my other shrimp recipes? Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry, Cajun Shrimp Pasta, Bang Bang Shrimp and this recipe are just a few of our favorites.
How to make a yummy Shrimp Poor Boy
First pour the buttermilk in a bowl. Then in another bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal and Creole seasoning. Next dip the shrimp in the buttermilk then in the flour mixture. Refrigerate the shrimp for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile make the remoulade sauce. In a medium bowl stir together the mayonnaise, garlic, pickle relish, lemon juice, horseradish, hot sauce, smoked paprika, Worcestershire Sauce and mustard. Set that aside for a while so the flavors can co-mingle.
Now in a heavy pot like a Dutch Oven or cast iron skillet heat about an inch of oil to 350-375 degrees. Working in batches fry the shrimp until golden brown on both sides. Then assemble the sandwiches spreading the remoulade sauce over the French bread, layer with shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles and the fried shrimp . For best results serve promptly.
Recipe notes and tips
- If available get freshwater shrimp versus farm raised shrimp. It is healthier for you and safer for the environment.
- Dry the shrimp thoroughly before breading.
- I use 21-25 count shrimp for this recipe which are considered jumbo but any medium to large shrimp will work for this recipe.
- For extra crispy thick battered shrimp dip them in buttermilk and then in the flour mixture twice.
- Fry in small batches so the oil maintains a constant temperature for crispy shrimp.
- In a hurry? No worries! Make the Cajun remoulade sauce up to 2 days in advance.
- Don’t go crazy with the salt. Cajun seasoning is rather high in sodium.
- Soft french bread or sub rolls are perfect for this recipe. Sometimes I even toast them with a little garlic butter.
- If you don’t like pickles simply leave them off the sandwich and omit the pickle relish from the sauce. It will still be absolutely delicious.
What to serve with a Shrimp Po Boy
- French Fries or Fried Chips
- Beer Battered Onion Rings
- Creamy Cajun Potato Salad
- Fried Okra
- Fresh Fruit
- Corn on the Cob
- Cheesy Grits
- Simple Garden Salad
- Hush Puppies
Shrimp Po Boy
A taste bud awakening Louisiana style Shrimp Po Boy with extra crispy Cajun fried shrimp drizzled with a sassy remoulade sauce. This satisfying sandwich is sure to be a hit with your family.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: main meal shrimp
- Method: deep fried
- Cuisine: Cajun
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ lbs medium to large shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- Oil for frying
Cajun Remoulade Sauce
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 4 (8 inch) french bread or sub rolls
- Shredded lettuce (iceberg or leaf lettuce)
- Tomato slices
- Pickle slices
- Pour buttermilk in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal and Creole seasoning. Dip the shrimp in the buttermilk then in the flour mixture. Refrigerate the shrimp for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl stir together the mayonnaise, garlic, pickle relish, lemon juice, horseradish, hot sauce, paprika, Worcestershire Sauce and mustard; set aside.
- In a heavy pot like a Dutch Oven or cast iron skillet heat one inch of oil to 350-375 degrees. Working in batches fry the shrimp until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Assemble the sandwiches spreading the remoulade sauce over the French bread, layer with shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles and the fried shrimp. For best results serve promptly.
Keywords: shrimp po boy sandwich, shrimp po boy sauce, fried shrimp po boy, how to make a shrimp po boy