This Sour Cream Coffee Cake is a rich decadent buttery cake with a generous layer of walnut streusel through the center and over the top. My husband I really enjoy this cake with a hot cup of coffee. I love to serve this for brunch along with Cheesy Pepper Asparagus Breakfast Casserole and Summer Fruit Salad.
If your family is anything like mine than they just love a good coffee cake. This is one of our absolute favorite coffee cakes. The butter and sour cream mixture gives this decadent cake such great flavor and helps keep it moist for days. The cinnamon walnut streusel filling takes it over the top.
How do you make Sour Cream Coffee Cake?
Start by mixing together the ingredients for the streusel. Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon. Now cut in the butter using a pastry cutter. Then stir in the chopped walnuts. Set that aside for a few minutes while you mix the coffee cake.
Start by whisking together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Now using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar. Turn the mixer to low and add the eggs and vanilla. Now keeping the mixer on low add the flour mixture and the sour cream in three intervals alternating between the two. Scrap down the bowl and beaters several times.
Next pour half of the cake mixture into a baking dish that has been coated with nonstick baking spray. Now sprinkle with half the streusel mixture and carefully top with the rest of the cake batter. Use an offset spatula to gently spread the coffee cake mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel and bake until set in the center.
Helpful tips for making Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Pecans can be substituted for the walnuts.
- Use full fat sour cream and honest to goodness sweet cream butter.
- A hand mixer can be used instead of a stand mixer to cream the butter and mix the coffee cake ingredients.
- Always preheat your oven and load the cake on the middle rack in the center of the oven.
- Use well chilled butter for the streusel. It is much easier to cut in well chilled butter. If you don’t have a pasty cutter grate the butter using very well chilled butter and a box grater.
- For a change in pace cut the ingredients in half for the streusel and use it for the center layer. Then simply combine 1/4 cup powdered sugar with 1/2-1 teaspoon milk. Drizzle over cooled cake.
More breakfast recipes you will love!!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This family friendly coffee cake combines sour cream and butter for a moist rich decadent cake. The easy six ingredient streusel filling takes this treat over the top.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×9 inch baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter. Stir in the chopped walnuts.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Turn mixer to low; add eggs one at a time mixing until incorporated. Mix in vanilla. Add flour mixture and the sour cream in three intervals alternating between the two. Scrap down the bowl and beaters several times.
- Pour half of the cake mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle with half the streusel mixture and carefully top with the rest of the cake batter. Use an offset spatula to gently spread the coffee cake mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
- Bake 35-40 minute or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Keywords: coffee cake, cinnamon coffee cake, easy sour cream coffee cake, sour cream cinnamon coffee cake