Well the holidays are over and on comes the hustle and bustle of school and work. The mornings are so busy there is hardly time for a hot cup of Joe. The alarm goes off and there is exercise, breakfast, lunches to pack and a whole plethora of activity. My husband is a high maintenance individual. He likes milk with his coffee, blueberries and grapes with his yogurt, added seasoning in his salad dressing and the list goes on and on. He even has a certain pen that he uses when he works and usually it sits on the counter and I pick it up and use and leave it someplace else. We have to run around and try to find this pen. I am pretty simple I like my coffee black, my salad dressing without extra garlic (well yeah) and I could not care less what pen I use. I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal. I mean honestly is there any other way to be?
These On the Go Sausage Cheddar Breakfast Muffins make crazy mornings a tad bit easier. They can be prepared ahead of time and then popped into the microwave for a quick 20 second reheat and presto breakfast is served. It is the perfect hand held breakfast for eating in the car.
Have you tried any of my other amazing breakfast treats? Cheesy Hash Brown Egg Cups, Homemade Apple Spice Crunch Muffins, Easy Breakfast Grilled Cheese are all perfect quick breakfasts that can either be prepared ahead of time or made on the fly!
On the Go Sausage Cheddar Breakfast Muffins combine browned pork sausage, cheddar cheese, red pepper and green chiles into the perfect pick me up breakfast on the go. Remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It cranks up your metabolism and keeps you moving.
- Nonstick baking spray
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (see notes)
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (see notes)
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 finely chopped red bell pepper (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (7 ounces) green chiles drained
- 2/3 cup very finely cubed cheddar cheese (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray standard 12 count muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- In large skillet brown sausage; add red peppers and cook for additional 2 minutes. Drain any excess fat and remove from heat.
- In small bowl whisk buttermilk and eggs together. Pour into flour mixture. Add sausage mixture, drained green chiles, cubed cheddar cheese and melted butter to flour mixture. Mix just until flour is Combined. Divide evenly in muffin pan. You can fill to the top as they only rise a tiny bit. Bake until golden brown; about 25-30 minutes.
These muffins should be refrigerated in an airtight container. They stay fresh for 3-4 days. The spices in this are very mild when combined with the other ingredients. If you are concerned cut it down to a pinch or two. You can shred the cheese but I like it better with little bits of cheese. Cut it in very small cubes like 1/4 inch.
Other breakfast recipes you will love!