This Spice Cake is a moist luscious treat filled with fabulous fall spices and topped with a super simple four ingredient brown sugar cream cheese frosting. The frosting and the cake can be made up to two days in advance but should be stored in the refrigerator.
Fall is in the air and what better way to celebrate than with a delectable spice cake. It is the perfect dessert for all your fall events like bonfires, Halloween, neighborhood shindigs and even Thanksgiving. Applesauce helps keep this perfectly balanced spice cake moist and the uncomplicated brown sugar cream cheese frosting is simply amazing!! The spices in this cake are tasteful and pleasant in that one spice does not take over the cake or overpower another spice.
How do you make Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting?
First in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves. Next in a large bowl whisk together oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla and brown sugar. Working in three parts stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir just until combined.
Pour into a well greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If inverting cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
Now grab another medium sized bowl and using a mixer beat together the cream cheese, butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Continue beating until light, fluffy and smooth. Spread on fully cooled cake.
Helpful tips for making Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat your oven and load the cake on the center rack in the middle of the oven.
- Bring your eggs to room temperature before starting the cake.
- Stir the flour into the cake batter just until incorporated. Over-mixing the batter can result in a tough, dense and chewy texture.
- Grease your baking dish well.
- Do not over-bake. Cook just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check after 30 minutes.
- Soften your butter and cream cheese before preparing the frosting.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting. This can take several hours so plan accordingly.
- Refrigerate leftovers as this cake has a cream cheese frosting.
Fall will be gone before you know it so don’t let the season slip by without trying this fabulous cake!
Other cakes you will love!
- Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
- Sock It To Me Cake
- Easy Banana Cake Recipe
- Lemon Pudding Poke Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
A delicious moist cake made with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves topped with an easy four ingredient brown sugar cream cheese frosting.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose (or cake flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese (1 1/2 boxes)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13×9 inch baking dish
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla and brown sugar. Working in three parts stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Using a mixer beat together cream cheese, butter, brown sugar and vanilla; until light, fluffy and smooth. Spread on fully cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Keywords: spice cake, spice cake recipe, fall spice cake, cake, brown sugar cream cheese frosting, cream cheese frosting