Apple Fritters are luscious deep fried donuts filled with apples, cinnamon and drizzled with an easy three ingredient glaze. You can have these scrumptious treats in your hot hands in less than thirty minutes. Make sure you stash a couple for yourself or you might blink your eyes and they will be gone.
These are one of my darling daughters favorite goodies. She just can not get enough of them!
Wouldn’t these taste fabulous with a hot cup of coffee? These delectable Apple Fritters are so easy and quick. They can be all yours in about thirty minutes. Your family and friends are going to love them. They are best enjoyed shortly after you cook them but they will stay up to two days in an airtight container.
How do you make Apple Fritters?
First peel, core and dice a couple of Granny Smith or Honey Crisp apples. I like to dice them somewhere between 1/4-1/2 inch. That way you get a good taste of that sweet apple. Now grab a bowl and add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Whisk it around and get it all mixed together. Make a well in the middle and add the milk, egg and applesauce. Now stir the mixture just until it is combined.
Fill a dutch oven or large heavy stock pot with about 1 1/2 inches of canola oil. Use a candy thermometer and bring the oil to 375 degrees. Carefully drop about 1/4 cup of batter per fritter into the hot oil. I like to spread the batter a little while I am pouring it so that the fritter does not end up too fat and so it cooks all the way through. Cook each side until golden brown. It takes about 2 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Once they have cooled whisk together the milk, powdered sugar and vanilla. Finally dunk the fritters in the glaze turning over to make sure each side is coated. Place on wire racks to air dry and drip.
Can you bake Apple Fritters?
This is a question that I am asked quite frequently. Yes I am sure there are lots of great recipes out there for baked apple fritters however this particular recipe really needs to be fried. Do your best to keep the oil at 375 degrees so the fritter absorbs less of the oil.
Helpful tips for making Apple Fritters
- Don’t over-mix the batter as it may make the fritters tough.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan when frying so the donuts cook better and the oil temperature is easier to maintain.
- Use a candy thermometer to track the temperature of the oil.
- A dutch oven or heavy pot helps the oil hold its temperature.
- Try to maintain a constant temperature of 375 degrees. When you add the batter the temperature will drop so you must increase the heat a tad. Likewise when you remove the fritters from the oil the temperature will increase so you need to turn the heat down a tad.
- Remove the fried fritters to paper towels to drain.
Other apple recipes you will love!
- Apple Cobbler Recipe
- Scrumptious Amazingly Easy Apple Turnovers
- Apple Cider Whiskey Cocktails
- Apple Pecan Sweet Bread
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
This post was originally published October 25, 2014 and was republished April 27, 2019 with new content and pictures.Print
Apple Fritters are luscious deep fried donuts filled with apples and cinnamon and drizzled with an easy three ingredient glaze.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 fritters 1x
- Category: sweet breakfast
- Method: deep fry
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 large Granny Smith or Honey Crisp apples peeled, cored and diced
- canola oil for frying
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in medium bowl. Make a well in the center and add milk, eggs and applesauce. Stir just to combine. Fold in apples.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in heavy skillet, dutch oven or deep fryer to 375 degrees. Drop about 1/4 cup of batter per fritter into hot oil; spreading it out as you drop. Cook each side until golden brown; approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Whisk together milk, powdered sugar and vanilla. Dunk each fritters in the glaze turning over to make sure both sides coated. Place on wire racks to air dry and drip.
Keywords: apple donuts, fritters, apple recipe, apple pastry, breakfast sweet, pastry