Easy southern potato salad combines potatoes, celery, green onions, pickle relish, and hard-boiled eggs in a creamy mayonnaise-based dressing with a touch of mustard. This delicious potato salad is the perfect side dish for all your barbecued and grilled entrees. It is so good with grilled chicken, burgers, ribs, and southern baked beans.
How to make Southern Potato Salad
First, peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Bring them to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain them in a colander and let them cool a bit while you make the dressing.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayo, yellow mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Add the pickle relish, hard-boiled eggs, celery, green onions, and drained potatoes. Gently fold the veggies into the dressing. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.
Helpful recipe tips
- You can make this potato salad with Yukon Gold potatoes or red potatoes, as they hold together better because they are waxy potatoes. You can use Russet Potatoes, but they will break down a little more. Some people prefer that.
- I like to peel the potatoes, but it is not a must with Yukon Golds and Red Potatoes because their skins are thinner, and they cook up more tenderly.
- Boil the potatoes just until fork tender. They should still have a very slight resistance to them. You don’t want them to be quite as soft as mashed potatoes.
- You can also boil whole potatoes and use your fingers to remove the skins gently.
- If you prefer the flavor of dill pickle relish, use it instead of the sweet pickle relish. For added flavor, add a splash of pickle juice.
- When sprinkling with paprika, add it to your hand, pinch small amounts with your fingers, and sprinkle the salad. If you use the spice shaker, it can quickly become too much.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How to make perfect hard-boiled eggs
I learned the secret to making perfectly perfect hard-boiled eggs every time. I discovered this a couple of years ago and have never looked back. The key is to steam the eggs, not hard-boil them. Bring a large pot of water to boil with a steamer basket in it. Add the eggs to the steamer basket, cover, and steam large eggs for 15 minutes. Plunge the eggs into cool water to stop the cooking process and to make them cool enough to handle. They are perfectly cooked every time, and the peels practically fall off them.
Try these next
Classic Southern Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Russet, or Red Potatoes peeled and cut into bite size cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise I prefer Dukes
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 4 hardboiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Paprika for garnish
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Bring them to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain them in a colander and let them cool a bit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yellow mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Add the pickle relish, hard-boiled eggs, celery, green onions, and drained potatoes. Gently fold the veggies and eggs into the dressing.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.