Easy southern potato salad combines potatoes, celery, green onions, pickle relish, and hard-boiled eggs in a creamy mayonnaise-based dressing with a touch of mustard. This delicious potato salad is the perfect side dish for all your barbecued and grilled entrees. It is so good with grilled chicken, burgers, ribs, and southern baked beans.
How to make Southern Potato Salad
First, peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Bring them to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain them in a colander and let them cool a bit while you make the dressing.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayo, yellow mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Add the pickle relish, hard-boiled eggs, celery, green onions, and drained potatoes. Gently fold the veggies into the dressing. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.
Helpful recipe tips
- You can make this potato salad with Yukon Gold potatoes or red potatoes, as they hold together better because they are waxy potatoes. You can use Russet Potatoes, but they will break down a little more, but some people prefer that.
- I like to peel the potatoes, but with Yukon Golds and Red Potatoes, it is not a must because their skins are thinner, and they cook up more tender.
- Boil the potatoes just until fork tender. They should still have a very slight resistance to them. You don’t want them to be quite as soft as mashed potatoes.
- You can also boil whole potatoes and use your fingers to gently remove the skins.
- If you prefer the flavor of dill pickle relish, use it instead of the sweet pickle relish. For added flavor add a splash of pickle juice.
- When sprinkling with paprika, add it to your hand and use your fingers to pinch small amounts and sprinkle the salad. If you use the spice shaker, it can quickly become too much.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How to make perfect hard-boiled eggs
I learned the secret to making perfectly perfect hard-boiled eggs every time. I discovered this a couple of years ago, and I have never looked back. The key is to steam the eggs, not hard-boil them. Bring a large pot of water to boil with a steamer basket in it. Add the eggs to the steamer basket, cover, and steam large eggs for 15 minutes. Plunge the eggs into cool water to stop the cooking process and to make them cool enough to handle. They are perfectly cooked every time, and the peels practically fall off of them.
Try these next
Classic Southern Potato Salad Recipe
Classic Southern Potato Salad made with sweet pickle relish, hard-boiled eggs, celery, and green onions in a creamy mayonnaise and mustard dressing. Guaranteed to be a hit at your next gathering.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: side dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Southern
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold, Russet, or Red Potatoes peeled and cut into bite size cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I prefer Dukes)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 4 hardboiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Paprika for garnish
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Bring them to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain them in a colander and let them cool a bit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yellow mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Add the pickle relish, hard-boiled eggs, celery, green onions, and drained potatoes. Gently fold the veggies and eggs into the dressing.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.
Keywords: how to make southern potato salad, what is southern potato salad, potato salad recipe southern, potato salad southern
On the hunt for more delicious recipes? Follow Small Town Woman on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.https://www.smalltownwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Beth-1.pdf
I halved the recipe. A time saver I used was to steam the cubed potatoes and eggs at the same time. They both require about 15 minutes. If you have a large enough steamer pot it works out great. The recipe itself was simple and tasty with room to tweak to tastes.
Thanks for the tips, Doug! So glad that you liked the potato salad!
This was such a creamy and delicious salad and just in time for summer! Looking forward to enjoying this all season long!
Oooh, definitely perfect for the upcoming barbecue season! This potato salad looks wonderful. Such amazing flavors.
This was the perfect potato salad. Total comfort food.
dina and bruce miller
This was sooooo gooooood! Perfect at our BBQ!!!
Thanks, Dina and Bruce! So glad that you liked it!
My favorite potato salad recipe! I make it all summer long – it’s so good!
This recipe makes me overly excited for BBQ season!
I made this potato salad for Easter and everyone raved about it! Definitely my new go to potato salad recipe!
Seriously my favorite potato salad recipe!! I make this every chance I get!!
I tried this recipe and it turned out really good. Was creamy and really easy to follow too.
Thanks, Savita! So glad that you liked it!
Absolutely amazing! Funny too because this is exactly like the potato salad I grew up on, and I grew up as a Northerner!
A northerner with good taste!
Looks like the recipe I have been making for years except we do not use sweet relish. We use dill pickle juice. Not knocking anyone else’s taste but we used sweet by mistake once and no one liked it.
Because of the step-by-step directions, it was so easy to cook and it was delicious. Thank you so much for sharing!
This looks absolutely delicious! I am doing an outdoor garden party for Easter and this would go well with the BBQ dishes
Yes indeed! It sure will!
This looks like a great recipe! Yum I need to try this out for sure!
Yummmmm….I love a good potato salad, who doesn’t lol…Your recipe looks delicious and is very easy to follow. Thank you.
At my gatherings, potato salad is always well received and I’ve received many compliments. I’m looking forward to trying this recipe at my next gathering.
Potato salad blends well with different meals. Even makes up a healthy meal in itself.
Great potato salad recipe. We loved it. Thank you!
Such a perfect salad recipe! Thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely make it again!
So yummy! Southern potato salad is the way to go. I love hard-boiled eggs and sweet pickle relish in my potato salad.
Oh my, this potato salad was incredible! I think it was the best I have ever had.
I can’t say I’ve eaten a whole lot of potato salad in my life. But this was so good! Thanks so much for sharing!
We love this potato salad. It is a must with my barbecued ribs.
This is the best potato salad recipe I’ve ever had, and it’s so easy to make. Thanks for a great recipe.
First of all, I would like to know why this is considered a southern recipe? My mom and grandma have been making this a very long time, if I’m 79 you can pretty much figure how long! Anyway, this recipe is how I’ve been making this, although I like to use dill pickle relish. A favorite recipe here, nothing like a good potato salad recipe!!