With just a few simple ingredients and some helpful tips these delicious and juicy Grilled Turkey Burgers are sure to become one of your go to grilling recipes. We love to fix these for family dinners during the warm spring and summer months.
How to make Grilled Turkey Burgers
Start by mixing the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise, Worcestershire Sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Then shape the mixture into four patties and spritz with a little oil on both sides of each burger. Grill for about 5 minutes then flip and grill for another 3-4 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. If desired top with cheese and melt. Place the burgers on toasted brioche buns and top with lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, and assorted condiments.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Use ground turkey not ground turkey breast as it is too lean and the burgers are much too dry.
- If the burgers are too loose to form patties simply add more breadcrumbs to firm them up. Some brands of ground turkey seem to have more moisture in them than others.
- To keep the burgers from sticking to the grill spritz both sides of the patties with oil before grilling. Do not use an unseasoned grill. Just like your cookie sheets over time your grill becomes seasoned. See below for seasoning your grill.
- The burgers are done when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Turkey burgers should always be cooked to well done.
- If desired top with your favorite sliced cheese and melt right on the grill the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Top however you like to eat your burgers. For our family that is lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onions (for hubby).
How to season that grill
To keep your tasty recipes like these burgers and other lean cuts of meat from sticking to your grill season it. Seasoning the grate helps repel rust and keeps your delicious entrees from sticking. Before turning on the grill or lighting (if charcoal) coat the surface of the grill with a high smoke point oil. Canola and peanut oil work best. Wipe off any excess oil with a paper towel and turn the grill to high heat for about 20 minutes. Let it burn and smoke for a bit. The more you do this the more the grill grate will darken which is a sign of a well seasoned grill.
How do I know when my turkey burgers are done?
Unlike beef burgers for safety’s sake turkey burgers need to be cooked through. Cook until an instant read thermometer reaches 165 degrees when inserted in the middle about halfway through the patty. Also remember to place cooked meat on a clean plate or platter not the one that held the raw meat. Wash the spatula that you used to place the raw burgers on the grill before using it to turn the burgers.
Delicious sauces to enjoy with your turkey burgers
- Burger Sauce
- Boom Boom Sauce
- Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Southern Comeback Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
Grilled Turkey Burgers
This deliciously juicy flavorful Grilled Turkey Burger recipe will quickly become your go to grilling recipe. It is quick, easy, and dependable.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ lbs. ground turkey (not turkey breast)
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- hamburger buns
- American Cheese (optional)
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Mix the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise, Worcestershire Sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Shape the mixture into four patties and spritz with a little oil on both sides of each burger.
- Grill for 5 minutes then flip and grill for another 3-4 minutes or until the burger reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- If desired top with cheese the last minute of cooking and melt. Place the burgers on toasted buns and top with lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, and assorted condiments.
Keywords: how to make turkey burgers, homemade turkey burgers, turkey burger recipe, ground turkey burgers