Spanish Rice Recipe is a combination of onions, peppers, garlic, rice and salsa. This easy dependable recipe is made in one skillet and comes together quickly. It is the perfect side for tacos, enchiladas, and burritos.
Spanish Rice Recipe is such a fun easy recipe to make. It tastes incredible and does not require a lot of work. This scrumptious dish comes together in less than thirty minutes and is a family and friend favorite. It goes with everything from tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and chimichangas to grilled chicken or steak. It reheats perfect in the microwave on reduced heat and is super family friendly! Spanish rice is great any time of the year.
How to make Spanish Rice Recipe
It is so easy. First in a large skillet melt a little bit of butter. Cook your onions, red and green bell peppers until slightly soft. Add garlic in the last minute of cooking to make sure that it does not burn. Now remove those goodies to a plate.
Heat olive oil over medium heat, add rice and cook until just starting to brown. Make sure you stir frequently. Then add chicken broth and salsa style tomatoes. Return pepper and onion mixture to skillet. Bring the mixture to a full boil. Then reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for twenty minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and keep covered for five minutes. Fluff with fork and serve as soon as possible.
Things you can add to Spanish Rice
- Finely minced jalapeno peppers.
- Grilled or rotisserie chicken.
- Crisp cooked bacon or pancetta
- Sour cream.
- Sliced black or green olives
- Blackened corn.
- Cooked chorizo and/or cooked ground beef
Helpful hints on cooking Spanish Rice Recipe.
- Dice your onions and peppers small so that they cook quickly and complement not overwhelm the rice.
- Don’t skip the browning (lightly browning) of the rice step. It is an important for texture and taste purposes.
- Keep the lid on tight while you are cooking the rice. Do not peek.
- Use good quality salsa or salsa style tomatoes
Other rice recipes you will love!
- Lemon Rice (A Lemon Lovers One Skillet Easy Recipe)
- Dirty Rice
- Quick and Easy Traditional Rice Pilaf
- Homemade Rice-A-Roni
- Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- The Best Fried Rice
- Bacon Onion Pumpkin Risotto
Spanish Rice Recipe is a combination of onions, peppers, rice and salsa. This easy dependable recipe is made in one skillet and comes together quickly.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Rice or Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish or Mexican
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 red pepper small dice
- 1/2 green pepper small dice
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5) ounce can salsa style tomatoes (see notes)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and cook until slightly soft; about 4-5 minutes stirring several times. Turn heat to medium low and add garlic and cook for about one minute; stirring constantly so the garlic does not burn. Remove vegetables to plate.
- In same skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook just until it begins to brown. Stir in chicken broth and salsa style tomatoes.Return pepper and onion mixture to skillet. Bring the mixture to a full boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid and turn to simmer. Do not peek . Cook for 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let set for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
You can sub 1 1/2 cups of salsa for salsa style tomatoes.
Keywords: BELL PEPPERS, RICE, SIDE, SIDE DISH, SPANISH RICE