This delectable Antipasto Salad is loaded with crisp romaine, sweet tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, soft mozzarella pearls, Kalamata olives, cherry peppers, pepperoncini, and salami. Then it is drizzled with a tasty oil and vinegar Italian dressing. It is typically served as the first course of a traditional Italian meal. However I love to serve this tasty salad during those hot summer evenings when turning on the stove is just not ideal.
What is antipasto salad?
Antipasto salad is a the traditional first course of an Italian meal. It typically consists of Italian cured meats, cheeses, olives, and vegetables in a light oil and vinegar Italian dressing. It is served with our without greens but I prefer mine with it as it gives it a well balanced texture.
How to make Antipasto Salad
Start by simply washing, drying, and chopping your romaine lettuce and place it in a large bowl. Then add the red wine vinegar, garlic, sugar, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil to a mason jar. Now cap the jar and shake to combine.
Next drizzle about half of the dressing over the romaine lettuce and toss to coat. Then top with the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, mozzarella pearls, Kalamata olives, cherry peppers, pepperoncini, and salami. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, top with fresh basil ribbons and serve.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- The dressing can be mixed up to 24 hours in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Use fresh mozzarella, pearls, balls or cubes. If you can’t find exactly what you are looking for buy a chunk and cut it into cubes.
- Top the salad with fresh basil ribbons for an over the top finish.
- Use an excellent quality Italian salami. I am very fortunate to have a grocery store within driving distance with a fair selection of quality cheese and cured sausages.
- If smoked marinated artichoke hearts are available they add flavor, depth, and texture.
Other salad recipes you will love!
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Tomato Salad
- Loaded Wedge Salad
- Cobb Salad
This tasty and zesty Antipasto Salad combines crisp romaine, sweet tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, soft mozzarella pearls, Kalamata olives, cherry peppers, peperoncini, and salami. Then it is drizzled with an easy oil and vinegar dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: bowl and spoon
- Cuisine: Italian
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 (7.5 ounce) jar grilled marinated artichoke hearts drained
- 8 ounces mozzarella pearls
- ⅔ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 cup assorted sweet cherry peppers and peperoncini
- 8 ounces chopped salami
- Fresh basil for ribbons
- Add the red wine vinegar, garlic, sugar, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil to a mason jar. Shake to combine.
- Add the chopped romaine to a large serving bowl. Drizzle about half of the dressing over the romaine lettuce and toss to coat. Top with the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, mozzarella pearls, Kalamata olives, cherry peppers, peperoncini, and salami.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing, Top with fresh basil ribbons and serve.
Keywords: what is antipasto salad, Italian antipasto, antipasto salad dressing, antipasto ingredients