This bowl licking Creamy Asparagus Soup is a family favorite. It comes together so quickly and is topped with crisp bacon and croutons making it a complete meal. This delicious soup is easily thickened with the help of a good ole russet potato. Do you have a family with a super hearty appetite? No worries serve with Easy Parmesan Herb Skillet Rolls or Bacon Jalapeno Cheddar Beer Bread.
Not only is this soup lip smacking good but it is pretty easy on the waistline as well. There is not any heavy cream, half n half or even milk in this recipe. It is still thick and creamy as one russet potato cooks right along with the asparagus. I serve it with just a little of bacon crumbled on the top and a few crispy croutons.
How do you make Creamy Asparagus Soup?
First wash and trim the rough ends off of about 1 1/2 lbs. of asparagus. Reserve a few stalks of asparagus for the garnish. Cut the rest of the asparagus into pieces that are no more than a couple of inches long. Add a little olive to a dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent. Decrease the heat to low and add the garlic and a couple pinches of ground thyme. Cook for an additional one minute.
Pour in the low sodium chicken broth and add the chopped asparagus and potato. Cook until both the asparagus and potato are really soft. In the last couple minutes of cooking add the reserved stalks. Using tongs remove the full spears from the pot. Cut the blanched asparagus into 2-2 1/2 inch sections.
Using an immersion blender puree the soup. Salt and pepper the soup to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with chopped bacon, croutons and top with blanched asparagus tops. Enjoy! It is delicious and healthy for you.
Helpful tips for making Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Trim off the rough bottom ends of your asparagus and discard.
- Cook your bacon nice and crispy and don’t add it until you are ready to serve.
- Simmer the asparagus and potato until they are quite soft so they puree easily.
- If you do not have an immersion blender you can puree this in a blender just make sure you remove the center cap on the top to let the steam out.
- Salt and pepper to taste. We like a lot of fresh cracked pepper in ours.
Other soup recipes you will love!
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- Potato Leek Soup Recipe
- Beef and Barley Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
This post was originally published January 28, 2014 and was republished May 6, 2019 with new pictures and new content.Print
Creamy Asparagus Soup
This bowl licking Creamy Asparagus is a family favorite. It comes together so quickly and topped with crisp bacon and croutons it makes a complete meal.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs asparagus trimmed and cut in 2 inch segments
- 1 large Russet potato peeled and cut into small chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 slices crispy cooked bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 cups croutons
- Add olive to a dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until it is translucent; approximately 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low: add garlic and ground thyme. Cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and add chopped asparagus and potato. Cook until asparagus and potato are really soft; about 20 minutes. In the last 2 minutes of cooking add the reserved stalks. Using tongs remove the reserved spears from the pot. Cut the blanched asparagus into 2-2 1/2 inch pieces.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls and top with chopped bacon, croutons and blanched asparagus tops.
Keywords: asparagus soup, soup, creamy soup, asparagus recipe,